Creating an access point at the back of the house

I've just signed up to Community Fibre and the modem was installed under the stairs along with the WiFi router. I'm now getting a severe dead spot at the back of my house.

I'd like to run a cable under the stairs alongside the external wall (semi detached) and into the back room

Eventually I would want a wired connection to my laptop and then a Wifi access point

My research so far has found

1. I need a network switch that I would connect to my CF modem - https://amzn.eu/d/fBnhlB2
  2. I can then plug in the mesh CF WiFi router into the network switch (??)
  3. I would then run an ethernet cable from the network switch to the back room
  4. I would need to fit an ethernet wall socket into the back room and connect the other end of the ethernet cable to the socket

Are those steps correct? I'm unsure on the type of ethernet cable to get i.e. how would I connect it to the wall socket?

Below is a picture of my CF setup

Thanks

20240111_131227.jpg

Edited by Brian0782

If your CF WIFI router is doing the routing / DHCP etc, you will want to do:

Modem -> Router -> Switch -> back room

I'd run CAT6 cable (solid copper not copper coated aluminium). If the cable is being run externally you will need external rated stuff.

I'd run at least two cables - one for access point and one for the PC

If the proposed access point in the back room is going to be powered by PoE you would need a switch that supports this, and provides the PoE standard used by the access point

I am not familliar with your router, could yo post the make and model number or post a picture of all the ports (sockets) on the unit.

My initial thought is rather than try to add a second wifi point, instead relocate this one to a more central position so it will cover the whole house.

22 hours ago, ProDave said:

I am not familliar with your router, could yo post the make and model number or post a picture of all the ports (sockets) on the unit.

My initial thought is rather than try to add a second wifi point, instead relocate this one to a more central position so it will cover the whole house.

It's a Linksys SPNMX56

I'd need to run an ethernet cable to the middle of the room and that's not a viable option right now

I have a WiFi extender and I'm still not getting good connectivity in the back room 

20240116_105813.jpg

Edited by Brian0782

Not understanding what you have.  I was expecting a modem and router supplied by your BB supplier (may both be in one box) and the router would have some RJ45 network sockets, and you would connect a cable from there to a wifi access point at the back of the house.

Are you trying a solution that receives the wifi from the suppliers kit and relays it?

• Like 1

If th modem has a spare port connect a wire into that. 

Then at the other end install a WIFI Access Point that has a spare wired port. Plug the PC into that.

If you have a wired printer you might an AP with 3 ports.

Alternatively...

If you like you can buy a switch and put that on the end of the wire from the modem.

Plug your AP, PC and Printer into that switch.

Edited by Temp

On 16/01/2024 at 18:05, ProDave said:

Not understanding what you have.  I was expecting a modem and router supplied by your BB supplier (may both be in one box) and the router would have some RJ45 network sockets, and you would connect a cable from there to a wifi access point at the back of the house.

Are you trying a solution that receives the wifi from the suppliers kit and relays it?

I have the two boxes that are attached to the wall. The WiFi router is plugged into the modem

My WiFi does have spare ethernet ports but I thought for better performance it would be better to bypass the router and connect to the modem directly. However I only have one ethernet port on the modem hence I thought to buy a switch. 

The Wifi can be plugged into the switch and I can purchase another ethernet cable to run from the switch to the back room.

That's my idea anyway...

20240118_105300.jpg

On 18/01/2024 at 21:35, Brian0782 said:

I have the two boxes that are attached to the wall. The WiFi router is plugged into the modem

My WiFi does have spare ethernet ports but I thought for better performance it would be better to bypass the router and connect to the modem directly. However I only have one ethernet port on the modem hence I thought to buy a switch. 

The Wifi can be plugged into the switch and I can purchase another ethernet cable to run from the switch to the back room.

That's my idea anyway...

20240118_105300.jpg

You can't bypass the router in the way you are describing, and there is no need to. You can only have one device plugged into the modem and it has to be capable of communicating with the upstream connection, which is precisely what the router/gateway does. The router itself then manages the LAN. A switch is not cable of doing this alone.

Just plug the cable you end up running into one of those spare ethernet ports in your last picture, no need to buy a switch. If you end up wanting to plug a pc in on the other end as well, then buy a switch at that point in time and put it in the back room, plugging both the AP and pc into it.

10 hours ago, elite said:

Do as @oliwoodings suggests, but in an ideal world you would avoid the daisy chaining of the switch / router, and run two cables from the back room to the router

At some point they are gonna need a switch somewhere - if they run two cables then the router will be full, preventing additional devices being added there without a switch. What's so bad about having a switch?

On 20/01/2024 at 09:19, oliwoodings said:

At some point they are gonna need a switch somewhere - if they run two cables then the router will be full, preventing additional devices being added there without a switch. What's so bad about having a switch?

Nothing bad about having a switch, I'd have it at the router end though and pull two cables for the added flexibility. I always advise pulling at least two ethernet cables if you are going to the trouble of pulling one