Jeez, legal nimbyism given a boost...

Yeah, not totally clear what problem this is trying to solve, this is the only example I came across:

A group of residents which meets certain requirements will be able to come together with a proposal for permission to be granted for development on their street, for example the addition of an extra storey to properties. The proposal can be put forward by the group of residents directly or with the assistance of an individual such as an architect.”

I thought that an extra storey was PD already, so the example is a bit odd.

I guess you could all vote that you were allowed dormers on the front of houses or something. Maybe of use more in cities?

I know that some of my neighbours will vote ‘no’ to anything though.

Where do they get these ideas from? I can just see a group of "like minded" public spirited residents coming together and employing an architect to come up with suggestions as to the sort of development they would like to see on their street.

Perhaps not then!

1 hour ago, SteamyTea said:

They used to be known as busybodies

How unfair on community representatives.

A spokesperson has been selected to represent the group, whether by pushing themselves to the front or being asked to. We need them.

A busybody, assuming the derogatory interpretation,  is not an official spokesperson.

Is it better to be steamrollered

by government?

I am an interested and well meaning member of the community. People with alternative aims  are busybodies.

Is it like when the local TV news talks to 'the public'. It's who they can find in the high street at 2.00 on a wet Tuesday, that is prepared to state an opinion.

The interesting and informed people are doing something useful somewhere.

• Haha 1

Is this an additional route to getting PP or a replacement?

If you wanted to build on the main road through a small village would you be forced to go this route or could you still apply for normal PP?

I've read it now.

It is a proposed wierd addition to the normal application process.

A 'street' can propose a development. Then there is a referendum on it, with registered voters from that street and nearby. 60 % approval needed.

I can't see any logical reason for this.

A bit in the Times yesterday: the article wasps on about adding new storeys, up to two storeys in rural locations, seven in cities! No other 'use case' examples. A kind of 'street planning application' which still gets voted on by the council. Plus a bunch of detailed rules about sizes, angles etc.

Weirdiama - and it kind of assumes most property has man enough structure and foundations to handle the extra weight or can be upgraded.

I can't figure out whether this is (a) government's idea to allow 'more community involvement' in something (that'll never get used); (b) the thin edge of the wedge giving us the UK equivalent of the US 'Home Owner Associations' (much derided), or (c) simply a bad bit of legislation with no obvious purpose.

Here's a summary of the current permitted development re extra storeys:

https://www.planningportal.co.uk/permission/common-projects/additional-storeys-extending-upwards/planning-permission

‘Street votes’ to allow seven-storey extensions on homes

Plans laid out by Michael Gove’s levelling up department aim to boost ‘gentle’ development through local referendums

Neighbours will be able to add up to seven storeys to their homes by holding local referendums to avoid the need for full planning permission.

Under government plans to encourage “gentle densification”, ministers will allow residents to band together to vote on allowing extensions, basements and loft conversions along entire streets at once.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/street-votes-to-allow-seven-storey-extensions-on-homes-rj2qxvth5