old paint pulled off wall... in places. Best way to prep?

Del-inquent

The hall in our place appears to have been painted with a very special paint. Rubbing it with sandpaper you'd think it's painted with tungsten carbide. In places it's come away with the wallpaper, in other places it's stuck solid and won't budge.

Other than having the whole lot replastered, what's the best way to approach it so it doesn't end up a scabby mess? I've had a suggestion of throwing easy-fill in the emulsion, putting a couple of coats on and sanding that back instead but the person was rather vague about it, I think it's something they heard rather than have done!

Edited by Del-inquent
so it makes sense...

11 hours ago, oliwoodings said:

You could hire a drywall sander to try and get it off and get the wall generally even.

Failing that, pay someone to skim it.

I've borrowed one, it doesn't seem to want to touch it. It's like putting the sander on a plane of glass! The exposed paster it eats through, of course, so if anything that seemed to make it worse. Unless I'm being inept using it which I'm totally open to learning.

12 minutes ago, Del-inquent said:

I've borrowed one, it doesn't seem to want to touch it. It's like putting the sander on a plane of glass! The exposed paster it eats through, of course, so if anything that seemed to make it worse. Unless I'm being inept using it which I'm totally open to learning.

I think it may be enamel or coach paint if this is an older property. If so then yes it’s hard! 

• Like 1

Try a wallpaper steamer.

Most coatings don't like being at 100⁰C and soften.

Are there any signs where the paint has released that may give a clue as to why it preferred the wallpaper to the wall.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SteamyTea said:

Try a wallpaper steamer.

Most coatings don't like being at 100⁰C and soften.

Are there any signs where the paint has released that may give a clue as to why it preferred the wallpaper to the wall.

Only a dusty back to the paint in those places, so I suspect poor prep when originally painted. 

Will give the wallpaper steamer a try on the bare paint, cheers. I think I might also give the "throw some easyfill in the paint" suggestion I had before and see if that smooths out the edges a bit.

4 hours ago, markc said:

I think it may be enamel or coach paint if this is an older property. If so then yes it’s hard! 

That would make sense, it does have a nice sheen to it. 

Any special prep needed for painting over, if it is enamel or coach paint?

14 minutes ago, Del-inquent said:

Will give the wallpaper steamer a try on the bare paint

Sometimes you have to hold it on the painted area a lot longer than you think before it works.

If it is really hard, maybe an electric paint stripper hot air gun.

15 minutes ago, Del-inquent said:

might also give the "throw some easyfill in the paint" suggestion

Never tried that, may give it a go on the next wall I paint.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Del-inquent said:

That would make sense, it does have a nice sheen to it. 

Any special prep needed for painting over, if it is enamel or coach paint?

Scuff with glass paper or emery etc. emulsion won’t stick to the smooth surface. May even need a wash over with dilute PVA.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SteamyTea said:

Sometimes you have to hold it on the painted area a lot longer than you think before it works.

If it is really hard, maybe an electric paint stripper hot air gun.

Okay tried the steamer... the paint laughed at me. Only place it worked was because the plaster fell off with the paint attached 😆 The hot air gun went and cried in the corner, I think I might join it... 

• Haha 1

Try and find out what sort of paint it is.  Could be useful, somewhere.

I used to know someone that was a salesman of a large paint company, he was also a clever bloke who, even though not technical, could get to the root of a coating problem quiet well.

Occasionally he would bring me paints and ask to put them into one of my steam chambers for a few weeks to see what was happening.

Most bubbled off.

On 10/01/2024 at 18:33, SteamyTea said:

@Del-inquent

Any chance of some pictures?

That should be possible at the weekend when I get my new phone, my old one apparently felt that falling through a gap in the floorboards to the floor below was justification not to function anymore. Such a marvellous week I'm having!