Temporary supply to site?

sunflower

We’re going to be building our house 50m away from an existing farm shed that has electricity already. 

Can anyone advise if running a heavy duty extension lead from the existing barn will be good enough to supply the building site? (For power tools I guess, and whatever else the construction workers need? It’s going to be a SIPs & oak frame build)

Or would we be better putting in the new supply first, and setting up some kind of temporary connection to it? (This is my husband’s opinion but it sounds like overkill to me!) 

Very grateful for anyone’s experience/advice! Thank you :)

We had to have our temporary supply installed, but then ran a looooonnnnnggg extension lead. Even now the supply is inside the house (recent move) we still have the extension to power the temporary lighting, the radio and the power tool battery charger.

The extension lead will likely be enough.

• Thanks 1

>>> Or would we be better putting in the new supply first, and setting up some kind of temporary connection to it?

FYI some people here have power run into a cabinet ('kiosk') by the DNO right at the beginning and then run their own cabling from that point on at a later date without further DNO involvement. You will eventually need to get official power to your house anyway (which often takes a while) so that may be a consideration.

Also there's some discussion here on BH regarding the earthing arrangements needed for a building site 'TT' being different to those needed for the final house 'TN-C-S'.

I'm sure a proper sparky will be along soon :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On a slight side note, it’s always worth questioning and challenging the costs quoted by the DNO for connecting you as and when that arises. I was initially quoted £15k, but after a long period of questioning the DNO about line loads the quote was revised to a more reasonable £950. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

When I had my new electric supply put in it was to a box on posts right next to where the garage was being built, when the garage was built (with a hole for the meter box) I shifted it into the garage wall myself. I had already buried a suitable cable from garage location to the house.

• Like 1

Power on site nowadays is only really used for lighting and charging the odd battery. If using an extension, make sure the supply is properly earthed and protected, RCD etc. Ideally you'd want it in a protective conduit or even use SWA... you need allow an idiot factor. and for the extension itself, best getting the a spool of heavy duty blue (frost resistant) flex cable and cutting to the right length and putting on your own plug and weatherproof sockets. 

• Like 1