Too many daft questions

krev

Hi,

Bought a 50 year old or so self "built" bungalow about 18 months ago that is liveable (if your standards aren't too high) just plodding along bringing it upto date and more liveable by todays standards. 

That wasn't the "plan" but the place has given me no choice really, the guy cut every corner so plumbing, electrics etc. are a nightmare / death trap.

So new heating, new bathrooms, new kitchen, new electrics, couple of lost walls, roofing, insulation the list is seemingly endless.

Been lurking and will probably incorporate a few new things like manifold plumbing etc.

Not done any "DIY" for a long time and should know better as too old for this ****.

So your patience is greatly appreciated if I ask too many daft questions because I can't use the search function properly or whatever.

Give an old man a break

• Like 1

Welcome

Wish I was as young as your house.

Think you need to start ordering your list of things to do as you don't want to get halfway in and then decide you need to dig the floor up to insulate it properly.

Quoting comments is easy, and it notifies the person that you have quoted them, very useful if you are expecting them to reply.

Good morning and welcome,

If the basics are so “wrong” it is usually easier to start again than chase problems and improvements around the system.

full re wires are disruptive but as floorboards etc are up then re plumbing is easier at the same time.

as above, make a list of what needs doing and prioritise based on benefits and cost etc.

Hi and welcome, there is no such thing as a daft question, daft is not asking, don’t worry we have all been there 🤷‍♂️. To quote someone type @ and their name ( @joe90) and select on the drop down menu and they will be notified, there is a search bar at the top of the page for subjects previously discussed.     From another old man 🤣

Edited by joe90

The Search function  on BH isn't great. I find it better to google it.

Eg buildhub manifold plumbing.

It's also worth following some key experts on here. We learn things we didn't know we needed to know that way.

What is top of your list?

1 hour ago, joe90 said:

To quote someone type @ and their name ( @joe90) and they will be notified

You have to actually click/tap on the name from the drop down list.

@joe90

is not the same as

@joe90

image.png.60d861cb2e4fced0b0d693d64146f810.png

@krev

You may notice that in the above image there is a "choose file" link.  This is used to add pictures.

There is some slight differences between adding files, sometimes you can copy cna paste one in, and other times you can't.  The choose file option will work for everything that is not too large, or the wrong sort.

If you are really an IT ludite, and there is no shame in that, you may want to ask someone to help you understand Spreadsheets.  They really are going to be your friend.

• Like 1

On 08/01/2024 at 06:55, markc said:

Good morning and welcome,

If the basics are so “wrong” it is usually easier to start again than chase problems and improvements around the system.

full re wires are disruptive but as floorboards etc are up then re plumbing is easier at the same time.

as above, make a list of what needs doing and prioritise based on benefits and cost etc.

Mostly concrete unfortunately

On 08/01/2024 at 10:17, saveasteading said:

The Search function  on BH isn't great. I find it better to google it.

Eg buildhub manifold plumbing.

It's also worth following some key experts on here. We learn things we didn't know we needed to know that way.

What is top of your list?

At the minute pulled raditors as just a bad mismash, plastic (mostly 22, 15, 10 no inserts) boiler gone and 1 bathroom no good so pulled walls and just putting in some beams and starting again. 

Thanks for the responses.