INTRO: 1970s Bungalow to 1.5 Storey Renovation

ambient

Hi all 👋🏼,

I wanted to introduce myself and our project as I anticipate I'll be in hot pursuit of the forums thoughts, opinions and experiences in the forthcoming months.

We purchased a 3-bedroom 1970's bungalow in August 2022 but had some planing complications due to a parish council policy that attempted to dictate that "a bungalow must stay a bungalow". 15 months later our planning application was finally granted, albeit with some compromises.

Here's a few points on what we're attempting...

• Replace existing roof (& ceilings) entirely, building up the walls ~80cm, adding a new roof with 1.2m increased ridge height and steeper pitch
  • Upstairs will accomodate two bedrooms, bathroom and "breakout area" overlooking hallway void
  • Large single-storey flat roof side and back extension out to locate 65sqm kitchen/diner
  • Complete re-configuration of downstairs layout
  • Complete replacement of heating system (gas will be cut off entirely)
  • New ASHP (current thinking Valliant Arotherm Plus, one-zone, no buffer)
  • UFH all-round on ground floor (retrofit lo-profile UFH on top of the existing slab (Wunda?), insulated/screeded in new extension). Possibly fan convectors in bed-rooms upstairs
  • Complete rewire I would assume
  • MVHR (current thinking is a radial system installed through new posi-joists, manufacturer TBH but will get BCF to design)
  • New solar panels, and battery (current thinking GivEnergy to unlock Octopus Intelligent Flux)
  • New double-glazing all round (Residence R7 probably)  also 2.7m high, ~8m wide sliding doors at rear (either Corteso Cor-vision or Minima)

The biggest grey-area for us at the moment is how much to focus on/invest in improving the insulation and air-tightness of the existing exterior walls. I'll raise a separate thread for this in due course.

Fortunately we were able to leverage a second mortgage and keep our existing home so we don't intend to live in the place whilst the majority of the work is taking place. The properties are only 0.5 mile apart so I am hoping I'll be able to keep a close eye on the build whilst I work from home. We are also intending to do a little of the work our-selves as possible (i.e. fitting MVHR, UFH, painting & decorating, airtightness membrane?, etc).

Thanks for having me and in advance for any advice,

Ollie
Fleet, Hampshire

Plans

24 OD - Amendments Combined.pdf

Concept Images

FRONT.thumb.jpg.69762a8a13322fd72d611d0979910697.jpg

REAR.thumb.jpg.e7266501a7d46dc0d5fa602fec0da1f5.jpg

Existing Images

Existing-FRONT.thumb.jpeg.c9049df58cff341a500db3f509d67c75.jpeg

Existing-REAR.thumb.jpeg.c3ea83eba08bdfd71e5e291913a3ee91.jpeg

• Like 2