Fire / smoke alarm placement

Posted (edited)

I believe in Scotland interlinked ( by whatever method ) is law . In England not so ; which imho is dumb . Though my hmos have to be .

Edited by Pocster

• 3 weeks later...

Slight hijack,

I've bought Various Aico mains wired kit for the kitchen (heat), upper hallway, down hallway (smoke) and lounge(multi).  Think I would like something in my utility room with plant room attached, tumble drier/washing machine, solar gadgetry...  Any recommendations please?

Yes I fitted the same Aico hard wired smoke alarm in my utility room.  It was not required to have one there by building regs but I wanted early warning of anything smouldering in a tumble dryer.

And we NEVER use the TD when we are not in the house.

35 minutes ago, ProDave said:

And we NEVER use the TD when we are not in the house

top advice, currently ours is in an out building but that has to be demolished on first occupation so, yes, this is something we are going to have to get aligned to.

15 minutes ago, Pocster said:

Mvhr negates need for a TD 😊

SWMBO would disagree with that.

Only underwear, socks and towels go in the TD, and only then for a short time, not enough to dry them thoroughly.  Just trying them any other way they does not meet the softness test.  But even a short spell in the TD then letting them finish drying naturally and they are deemed soft enough.

11 minutes ago, ProDave said:

SWMBO would disagree with that.

Only underwear, socks and towels go in the TD, and only then for a short time, not enough to dry them thoroughly.  Just trying them any other way they does not meet the softness test.  But even a short spell in the TD then letting them finish drying naturally and they are deemed soft enough.

Guess it depends on the house layout .

I was well impressed how dry stuff becomes just put on an airer with mvhr - but yes perhaps I haven’t done the softness test …

I'm speaking to sparky tomorrow re locations as it somewhat slipped my mind. I did just plan AICO's interlinked with a central test/reset button (high ceilings). But im now worrying about the Large Dwellinghouse criteria (380sqm house, ground is 230sqm) that makes me think I need a special ie expensive grade A system. Anyone else get caught out by this?!?

"Grade A Category LD3 fire detection and alarm system"