Loft windows

Hi, I am currently planning a loft conversion and would like to gauge opinion on the appropriateness of flat glass roof lights / panels if possible please.

I believe one above the stairs is considered wise; as will bring light onto and downstairs. We are toying with the idea of one above the bath in the loft bathroom and possibly one in the dormer bedroom.. We like the idea of more light, being able to look up into the sky, added ventilation (if openers) and am I right in thinking, due to how these are fitted / sit in the ceiling some extra head height where they are?

The disadvantages seem to be solar gain (these two rooms would be east facing), cost and potentially keeping them clean?

The bathroom will have a large window and for the dormer room, we are trying to decide on either large windows or doors that open across the 3m opening. Interested on any opinions here too; it feels as doors will make the room feel more open to the garden when open, even though the glass balustrade required is not that different to a fixed window..

Any views or thoughts on further things to consider here would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Will

So, just to clarify. This is a loft conversion within a traditional pitched roof dwelling. When you say "flat glass roof lights" where would would these be fitted, horizontally on dormer roofs or are we talking "velux" style rooflights in the slopes?

Again I presume the proposed 3m wide doors fold inwards with a glass balustrade externally. That balustrade will need structural design for a 3m width.

A little clarification will allow others to comment further. 

Yes horizontal flat roof lights / panels into the dormer roof that will be created, is what I am trying to decide on.. The Velux into the front sloping roof seem nice and straight forward and we will have two in the front room and one above the stairs.

And yes, the external glass balustrade and doors opening internally but what I am trying to 'get my head around' is how is this better or really much different from fixed windows up to a height of 800mm and then above that a couple of big windows that could open outwards. I guess the mullions would be potentially wider.. (I think I have got this 800mm figure correct for the minimum height an opening window must be from the floor and a glass balustrade would need to be 1100mm.)

Regarding the BC application I wont be doing the building work myself - only the more straight forward DIY type bits!

Many thanks,

Will 

1 hour ago, Willl said:

Yes horizontal flat roof lights / panels into the dormer roof that will be created, is what I am trying to decide on.. The Velux into the front sloping roof seem nice and straight forward and we will have two in the front room and one above the stairs.

And yes, the external glass balustrade and doors opening internally but what I am trying to 'get my head around' is how is this better or really much different from fixed windows up to a height of 800mm and then above that a couple of big windows that could open outwards. I guess the mullions would be potentially wider.. (I think I have got this 800mm figure correct for the minimum height an opening window must be from the floor and a glass balustrade would need to be 1100mm.)

Regarding the BC application I wont be doing the building work myself - only the more straight forward DIY type bits!

Many thanks,

Will 

Irrespective of who carries out the work you - as the home owner - will need to determine if you need an application. I would suggest that you contact BC and discuss the potential works with them.

My understanding is that the loft will be covered within permitted development and the builder undertaking the work has suggested a building controller who they work with. I recognize that I should try and have a good relationship with them and I think you are telling me that I need to make sure with them that any choices are within regs.

What I am trying to do at this stage, is ascertain if flat roof lights are a good idea in a loft dormer and the advantages of doors in the dormer room over large windows.. 

Cheers,

Will 

Funny how communicating on something can give you some clarity..! I apologize for my stupidity here regarding the door / window question - of course the window - unless a bi fold window or similar would have a frame and therefore never present a fully 'open' space!

If anyone has any opinion on flat roof lights / panels in a loft that would be much appreciated!

Will 

I believe if you go for a wall below and a window above instead of a door and glass Juliet balcony, then the window would not be allowed to be wide open, but would need an opening restriction device fitted, unless it is also 1100mm high.

1100mm high is the height set for a balcony or anything to stop a fall from height, so a wide open window would need to be the same. 

I dont know  if any regs change as your house gets higher as you are now in a 3 storey house. 

Unless of coarse your putting this on a bungalow.  

Look at page 24 of Approved Document K - this shows the relevant heights of guarding in various locations. Minimum height of opening windows is 800mm. However, since the addition of Part O - Overheating has been added to the regulations there is an additional complexity. If the window is needed to remove excess heat and has to be open wider than 100mm to achieve that, then the cill height becomes 1100mm (because presumably overheated people are more likely to fall out of a window than cool people??)

In simple terms (and not all variables are known here) then you'll need 4% of the bedroom floor area as openable area. You could argue that your velux will provide that and thus the main windows would not be required for that purpose and therefore the original 800mm cill height would be sufficient.

Thanks all. I think we will go for a set of 'slide and turn' of doors, with a wide single piece glass balustrade (it appears you can get these beyond 3m in width) and give the flat roof lights in the bathroom and bedroom a miss, as they could create heat problems in the summer..

Best,

Will