Heat Pump water cylinders?

Crofter

Can be, am getting a Daikin one in my self build. There's also an Ariston model? There is a review on YouTube from a plumber who installed one. The only issue was supply, not many available in the UK yet. Needs more holes in the wall - the plumber used his garage.

Beware some are coated carbon steel and have an anode to be replaced. Think the Edel is stainless so ok.

Some thoughts - A 200L direct UVC was less than £500, so you are paying £1500 for the heat pump part to save upto £1.30 a day, if you get a a CoP of 3, based on 7kWh of hot water a day. So about 4 years to get payback, without the additional installation costs.

• Like 1

Just for context, the house is a 90m² bungalow in NW Scotland, with storage heaters, no mains gas.

Currently occupied mostly in the summer, from about April to the end of October.

I don't have a break down of the DHW vs space heating consumption.

I'm strongly inclined to go A2A for space heating, and thinking about PV+diverter for DHW. But that would be a small DIY project, no export payments (unless Octopus extends their trial...).

A2A convert here. Currently very slowly renovating a bungalow in central belt. 

I spent an age trying to work out what would be best for space heating and DHW with the help of BH. You might find this thread has some useful information. 

TLDR : I decided my best option was dump solar to hot water. Heat pump water still not common enough so if it goes wrong it's potentially harder to get someone qualified to fix which likely comes at a cost.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gill said:

A2A convert here. Currently very slowly renovating a bungalow in central belt. 

I spent an age trying to work out what would be best for space heating and DHW with the help of BH. You might find this thread has some useful information. 

TLDR : I decided my best option was dump solar to hot water. Heat pump water still not common enough so if it goes wrong it's potentially harder to get someone qualified to fix which likely comes at a cost.

Great thread, thanks.

I've already got a fairly new direct UVC so I'm a bit loath to replace that.

Need to price up a DIY installed PV+diverter system. The panels are crazy cheap at the moment and I've no shortage of places to put them. Would probably ground mount and use the space underneath for storage.

Did you go with multi splits? I've been considering a ducted system but I might be over thinking it.

1 hour ago, Crofter said:

Did you go with multi splits? I've been considering a ducted system but I might be over thinking it.

I went multi split. 2 outdoor controlling 4 indoor (one sunroom, one living room, one in each bedroom). Main reason was the west facing side of our bungalow is always cold unless we get a spell of consistently nice weather. Our spare room /office is there and I wanted option to heat this room while other units are potentially cooling which isn't possible with ducted. I didn't dig much more but I'm sure I'd read that far less fine grained control with ducted system so I'm not sure if you can have one room at 17 and another at 22. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Gill said:

I went multi split. 2 outdoor controlling 4 indoor (one sunroom, one living room, one in each bedroom). Main reason was the west facing side of our bungalow is always cold unless we get a spell of consistently nice weather. Our spare room /office is there and I wanted option to heat this room while other units are potentially cooling which isn't possible with ducted. I didn't dig much more but I'm sure I'd read that far less fine grained control with ducted system so I'm not sure if you can have one room at 17 and another at 22. 

Thanks, sounds like a good fit for your usage.

Our house is mostly used as a holiday let and I need something pretty simple, with a central control. I'd also really like the ability to control it myself remotely because it's not unusual for guests to turn the heating right up and then leave, and I can't always rely on the cleaner to remember to turn it down again.