Best ways to insulate floor, walls, ceiling of a 20' Shipping container…

Chris HB

9 minutes ago, Chris HB said:

@Iceverge do you how robust the structure/outsides are of these refrigerator units as I’m unsure as to how they are actually made? I’m assuming they’ll be fairly robust, but obviously not a steel container so a bit lighter overall. 

I'm not sure exactly. I think steel frames with polyurethane insulation skinned with light gauge steel externally and plastic inside. 

You can get Reefer Containers which can be stacked like regular containers so they must be pretty strong. 

37 minutes ago, Iceverge said:

they must be pretty strong. 

I think these are craned and forklifted the same as the obviously strong steel ones. 

The reason for selling them off is presumably the chiller being at end of life...or the door, which must be insulated too.

25 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

How would they stand up to fire regulations when converted to a building?

Not planning on converting it to a proper building, more temporary onsite storage mainly. Me sleeping on the floor or using it as a temporary site office sort of thing will be temporary… hopefully! 🤣

I've had a scan of your blog. 

You seem to have a couple of requirements/challenge's 

In no particular order. 

1. A place that you can store stuff.

2. A camp out while working on the project. 

3. Something that won't be blown away. 

4. Something that you can establish without permission. 

5. Something that can be used later for an office/workspace.

6. Something cheap to establish.

In you location I think unless you can get a local unit it's going to be cheaper to just build something permanent on permitted development. 

A simple metal framed shed would be fine and last a long time without all the compromises of a container. @Kelvin has one if I remember search his build thread. 

Yes it’s an insulated steel garage/workshop. Sheets come  in various thicknesses of insulation starting at 40mm. Mine is 80mm. I probably wouldn’t go less than 80mm. It’d be much dearer than an insulated container of course. Needs to sit on a foundation so there’s that cost too. I put 100mm of insulation under the concrete slab. It’s unheated currently and quite useable as long as you’re doing something. 

Edited by Kelvin

On 13/12/2023 at 00:32, Iceverge said:

I've had a scan of your blog. 

You seem to have a couple of requirements/challenge's 

In no particular order. 

1. A place that you can store stuff.

2. A camp out while working on the project. 

3. Something that won't be blown away. 

4. Something that you can establish without permission. 

5. Something that can be used later for an office/workspace.

6. Something cheap to establish.

In you location I think unless you can get a local unit it's going to be cheaper to just build something permanent on permitted development. 

A simple metal framed shed would be fine and last a long time without all the compromises of a container. @Kelvin has one if I remember search his build thread.

Good summary! 👍

With foundations, planning permissions, warrents and then the construction itself, I think this will be way more expensive than your initial suggestion of the insulated refrigeration unit. Transportation worst case so far is going to be say £2,200, so approx £4,200 delivered. Could a metal shed with composite panels and foundations etc. compete with that cost-wise? The refrigeration unit also has the possible option of resale if I no longer want to use it as a studio space.

Edited by Chris HB

2 hours ago, Iceverge said:

You can build a shed under permitted development no? 

Not sure, as technically it would not currently be classed as a dwellinghouse – part of the planning permission is to get it classed as residential in the first place, as a church meeting hall it was possibly classed as commercial (or suis generis) initially. It also means that although it is 110 years old, it gets classed as a new build as well! 🤪

Also, the ideal space for the location is to the side of the building, whereas the regs state it would have to be that it's located at the back of the house. Interesting… https://www.mygov.scot/build-shed-garage-greenhouse

Right no planning. 

Been there, mad to get chomping at the bit and start hammering bits of timber together but frustrated by the bureaucracy. 

You have 2 proper options at the moment.

1. To hell with the planning, move into the hall as is and and ask for forgiveness later. It'll require an absence of grumpy neighbours a pot of ready cash and risks peeing off the planners. 

2. Hammer the paperwork now. There'll be enough physical work later for the build. Get your permits in place the.build something appropriate for task and not a compromised stopgap.

In my experience nibbling away at a big project with limited funds will burn out your enthusiasm before the dream is realised. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Iceverge said:

Right no planning. 

Been there, mad to get chomping at the bit and start hammering bits of timber together but frustrated by the bureaucracy. 

You have 2 proper options at the moment.

1. To hell with the planning, move into the hall as is and and ask for forgiveness later. It'll require an absence of grumpy neighbours a pot of ready cash and risks peeing off the planners. 

2. Hammer the paperwork now. There'll be enough physical work later for the build. Get your permits in place the.build something appropriate for task and not a compromised stopgap.

In my experience nibbling away at a big project with limited funds will burn out your enthusiasm before the dream is realised. 

Yep, got my design ideas resolved for the building, it's then getting the drawings and details for planning and warrants etc. started mid-January, hoping to get planning/warrants sorted in June/July all being well. At the moment I have a small tent set-up inside the building to camp out in, but I’m aware that when work in proper starts, the floor etc. will be coming up, and camping in the building will no longer be an option, plus I will need extra storage for the floorboards and stuff I have in the building at the moment. Luckily I have a concrete bus shelter and a store for the funeral bier that I’m trying to make usable storage spaces in the meantime.