Drop light

Pocster

Got one of these . Where it appears the support cables are actually live off the led dimmer .

I suspect this as a cable touched the metal housing and gave me a nice spark .

The cables are much too long . No obvious built in method to shorten them . As the support cable is the power cable presume I can cut and wago ( connector is in the ceiling so not visible ) - basically cut to length .

Yeah ?

IMG_8972.jpeg

IMG_8973.jpeg

It's normal to shorten, cut, strip, and re terminate the drop cables.

What is the issue?  just use the original connector.  You will have to use lever wago's if you choose that as they are almost all stranded cables.

• Like 1

Just now, ProDave said:

It's normal to shorten, cut, strip, and re terminate the drop cables.

What is the issue?  just use the original connector.  You will have to use lever wago's if you choose that as they are almost all stranded cables.

I’ve not seen one like this before . I’ve only seen support cables AND then a power cable . This unit seems to achieve both in 1 cable at each end . There were zero instructions chinglish or otherwise .

24 minutes ago, ProDave said:

No different to a standard old school pendant light, the one cable provides power and support.

Only difference is the lack of bonding to the metal covering on the outside. 

Pendants are class 2, this looks class poo. 

I think the way this design works is really clever . Live cables ( support cables ) roll over a metal wheel . So you just pull , cut to suit . Metal wheel each side acts as conductor . But like GhostBusters - don’t cross the beams .

Edited by Pocster

1 minute ago, Alan Ambrose said:

Presumably the exposed bits are 12V? Wasn't there a trend for dual naked suspended cables with little 12V lights hanging off them in the mid to late '90s - or am I showing my age? 

Yep . It’s all very trendy