Validating Planning To Keep It Live

It varies dramatically by region.

You really need to ask.

My hunch is that the first job should be the dropped kerb,  and there would be no argument.

Quite expensive.

An alternative might be preparing the driveway to the stage of hardcore, but you shouldn't drive over the existing  kerb to do it. Plus they might think you are ignoring the kerb requirement.

If I may ask, why haven't you proceeded with the project?

• Like 1

Thank you for the input by @Mr Punter and @saveasteading

Council have now informed us that we only need to put in a small section of piling for the garage foundation's and not the full footprint.

Don't need to do the drop curb, drive or parking area.

Bit of a result for a change.

Have another go for a house in a couple of year's, hopefully the restrictions would have been lifted by then.

And be aware that if this is over 30m2 it'll need a building regulation application submitted. The piling will need designing by an engineer and approved by BC. You can't really do a "small section" of piling 'cos the rig and site set up etc loads a lot of the cost. Spread over many piles it's not so bad but for a few then it'll be an expensive hobby - that's if you can interest a piling co in doing it.

I'm  wondering if @twice round the block means trench footings. I've heard this described as pilings before (in error or as a local term, I don't know).

Hence the query. Otherwise  , just getting a rig on site will be a few £k, plus full SE design.

dropped kerb and reconstruction of footpath/crossing might be about £3k.

@ProDave please curb your use of this american term for kerb. I had to add kerb to the spellcheck dictionary.

Twice, if you tell us more about the garage design, and ground conditions, then we can help you choose. 

• Haha 1

The sight plan on my original post shows where the tree canopy / root spread is on site.

Where the digger is located, that is the position of the garage footprint and the spindly pine behind the digger has now gone as it was dead at the crown.

All a bit of over kill for the footings from an over zealous tree officer.IMG-20200811-WA0000.thumb.jpg.affd2f6d75e8cce73184593dab02894a.jpg

Well that's well over 30m2 floor area. It'll need a building reg application so design and calcs for the foundations. Given that the house is yet to be given planning approval you may want the flexibility of not having garage foundations set in concrete so to speak... The crossover may be worth at least getting a quote on to compare with what will be substantial foundation works.

• Like 2

Exactly. 

The tree officers concern is the trees, not the building.

A garage could sit on the surface with a light structural raft. A house will be completely different.

2 economical choices

Crossover

A simple slab with no foundations But.....*

I'd do the x-over.

The last time I did this to lock planning, we just did hardcore. BUT the planner wanted to see the complete design and bco approval to show it was relevant. 

• Like 1