Combined Sewer on Private Property

iMCaan

Hi

We have a existing combined sewer in our back garden that runs down through our neighbours' back garden to council owned property and then to the public road.

My builder re-routed it in our garden to avoid the foundations (back wall). It's not yet connected to the house. Was the builder right to re-route it without consulting Yorkshire Water?

We submitted a few planning applications and Yorkshire Water commented on two of them:

1) A public sewer crosses the site in the area of the proposed building. The sewerage undertaker (Yorkshire Water) must therefore be consulted for any layout constraints and for a view on the impact of the development on the public sewerage system (Attached sewer map is for information purposes only).

2) no observation comments are required from Yorkshire Water. There is a minor S24 foul/combined sewer recorded crossing the site. In this instance, YW would look for
this to be controlled under Requirement part H4 of Building Regulations 2010

Who's responsibility is it to maintain the sewer in our garden, me or Yorkshire Water?

Who's responsible for clearing the sewer blockage in my neighbour's garden, me, neighbour or Yorkshire Water? My neighbour is unaware of the sewer through his garden. He said he's sewer goes from the front garden straight to main sewer in road.

Thanks

sewer.PNG

Yes, I did see the work. If I remember correctly as it was two years ago, it was a clay about 100mm radius orange pipe. He capped it off close to the neighbour's boundary wall. I remember him saying that he will connect a new pipe once the shell is up.

I don't think I'm being misled. I hired him because he does a lot of groundworks for council and schools.

1 hour ago, iMCaan said:

... Was the builder right to re-route it [ the sewage pipe] without consulting Yorkshire Water?

We submitted a few planning applications and Yorkshire Water commented on two of them:

1) A public sewer crosses the site in the area of the proposed building. The sewerage undertaker (Yorkshire Water) must therefore be consulted ...

2) no observation comments are required from Yorkshire Water. There is a minor S24 foul/combined sewer recorded crossing the site. In this instance, YW would look for
this to be controlled under Requirement part H4 of Building Regulations 2010

As written, you might mean

• Both 1) and 2) above refer to the current application and should be taken into consideration OR
  • either 1) or 2) but NOT both refer

If 1) is relevant, then that's a direct instruction to consult YW

If 2) applies, then the BCO is the responsible office.

The builder re-routed the sewer, but didn't connect it to your house. Is anyone other than you adversely affected by the lack of a connection? 

... Who's responsible for clearing the sewer blockage in my neighbour's garden, me, neighbour or Yorkshire Water? My neighbour is unaware of the sewer through his garden. He said he's sewer goes from the front garden straight to main sewer in road.

Is there a blockage in your neighbour's garden?  (.... the sewer blockage...)

If you mean:   who -in general terms- is responsible for clearing a potential blockage, then please answer this question ...

Where is the nearest access point for clearing a blockage in the sewer that runs through oth your properties?

If there is a rodding point in your garden, then I would take that as a strong indication that you might be responsible. If there is no access point in your property, then you cannot be expected to take action to maintain it.  Your neighbour is hinting that the sewer has nothing to do with him isn't he.......

The most obvious thing to do is to write to YW and ask them.

44 minutes ago, ToughButterCup said:
  • Both 1) and 2) above refer to the current application and should be taken into consideration OR
  • either 1) or 2) but NOT both refer

Both refer to the current application as well as to previous applications.

47 minutes ago, ToughButterCup said:

The builder re-routed the sewer, but didn't connect it to your house. Is anyone other than you adversely affected by the lack of a connection? 

No-one else is affected. My house is the last connection to the sewer. It ends there.

53 minutes ago, ToughButterCup said:

Where is the nearest access point for clearing a blockage in the sewer that runs through oth your properties?

It was in general terms as to who would be responsible. I think there was a man-hole on my site for the sewer. I've noticed one in my neighbour's garden so the other would likely be in council property.

Time to contact YW, architect and the builder.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Alan Ambrose said:

>>> I don't think I'm being misled. I hired him because he does a lot of groundworks for council and schools.

OK then, that implies that he decided not to notify or maybe he did without wanting to bother you? Ask him maybe?

I'll speak to him