Wired smoke alarms keep going off

jayc89

2x wired smoke alarms, one in the hallway, one on the landing. Linked. Every couple of hours last night they were going off (red light showing for smoke, rather than yellow for a fault). Resetting one silenced them until the next time... I've taken them off this morning and cleaned them, hovered them out, although they weren't particularly dirty... 

Not happened again since, but it was only 30 mins ago I did that. Any other suggestions if they keep going off? Presumably at least one of them will have a fault? 

As there are only 2, disconnect the link wire at one end.  Then you will know which one is going off as it won;t trigger the other.

What make and how old?  It might just be time to replace them.  Before anyone asks, I only ever recommend Aico smoke alarms.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ProDave said:

As there are only 2, disconnect the link wire at one end.  Then you will know which one is going off as it won;t trigger the other.

What make and how old?  It might just be time to replace them.  Before anyone asks, I only ever recommend Aico smoke alarms.

Both are Aico. Upstairs is EI3016 not sure what the downstairs one is, it has a smaller test/reset button, but same make. They were only fitted 2 years ago, the stamp on them has a date in 2036, I think it was. 

If they go off again, I'll pull the link wire and go from there - thanks!

They should be okay.  The point of removing the link is to see which one is triggering.  When you know that, swap them over and see if the same one triggers again.  If it is one in the same location triggering after swapping them it is time to look very hard for a real problem.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ProDave said:

They should be okay.  The point of removing the link is to see which one is triggering.  When you know that, swap them over and see if the same one triggers again.  If it is one in the same location triggering after swapping them it is time to look very hard for a real problem.

My suspicion is the downstairs one is full of crap (although it looked pretty clean when I removed it) as we had a plasterer working in the room under it when I was away a few weeks ago and SWMBO said it was going off every time he mixed up :(