drylining cost ammendments

Tom

This is a bit of a boring topic unfortunately, but I'm hoping for some guidance here if possible. Our dryliners are coming to the end of their work and have added all sorts of additional costs for additional work done - fair enough, but there was one major change early on, in that I did not want then to do the internal sills/window reveals when they were initially expecting to do these. I have queried why the cost for this has not been deducted from the final bill and have been told "it is completed and priced as a block measure, so the openings are never deducted from this measure whether the dryliners complete the reveals or not unfortunately. The additional areas for openings would be used for the wastage percentage. The same applies to bricklayers and renderers". Is that reasonable? Seems every minor ammendment is costing me, but when it comes to a possible saving it's "computer says no". Any thoughts? @nod?

Is the communication clear that going into the reveals was originally included in the price, and you then asked them not to? If so I might be tempted to call their bluff and ask them to carry on with the reveals anyway, although they might argue it's too late now...

Edited by BadgerBadger

1 hour ago, Tom said:

This is a bit of a boring topic unfortunately, but I'm hoping for some guidance here if possible. Our dryliners are coming to the end of their work and have added all sorts of additional costs for additional work done - fair enough, but there was one major change early on, in that I did not want then to do the internal sills/window reveals when they were initially expecting to do these. I have queried why the cost for this has not been deducted from the final bill and have been told "it is completed and priced as a block measure, so the openings are never deducted from this measure whether the dryliners complete the reveals or not unfortunately. The additional areas for openings would be used for the wastage percentage. The same applies to bricklayers and renderers". Is that reasonable? Seems every minor ammendment is costing me, but when it comes to a possible saving it's "computer says no". Any thoughts? @nod?

They are correct Window Openings are usually measured through To save paying extra for setting reveals 

A five bed house would normally take one man four hours to setup the reveals 

2 hours ago, BadgerBadger said:

If so I might be tempted to call their bluff and ask them to carry on with the reveals anyway,

I did think about this but the boards have already been skimmed so I'm guessing theyd just say too late...

I can't comment on the plasterers but with brickwork it seems that it is a new trend to price solid though openings. I don't do it but many do. I only charge for work that we do which includes laying lintels cavity trays and feature work above and below an opening. I think the market decisions will have a say on whether this trend continues or not.

7 hours ago, Tom said:

So @nod would you say I'm wrong to expect a reduction, albeit small, if they are no longer doing the reveals?

Half a day work saved £125 ?

But if they’ve made a good job It’s not a lot in the grand scheme of things 

5 hours ago, nod said:

But if they’ve made a good job It’s not a lot in the grand scheme of things 

I agree. Just sticks in the craw a bit. Especially so when some walls are mostly window!

15 hours ago, Canski said:

a new trend to price solid though openings. 

As an estimator I always do / did this if it was my own take- off. For part of a big job it is near enough quits with brick or plaster area saving being near enough = to the fiddly work. 

But as a bricky or plasterer it would more significant.

Thus if you deduct some fiddly work, there is a genuine saving in time and cost.

BUT change is never good. At the very least, they had to remember not to do that bit.

Contractually, they are entitled to the profit they would have made on thd work deducted, even if there are extras.

Some compromise is required.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

As an estimator I always do / did this if it was my own take- off. For part of a big job it is near enough quits with brick or plaster area saving being near enough = to the fiddly work. 

But as a bricky or plasterer it would more significant.

Thus if you deduct some fiddly work, there is a genuine saving in time and cost.

BUT change is never good. At the very least, they had to remember not to do that bit.

Contractually, they are entitled to the profit they would have made on thd work deducted, even if there are extras.

Some compromise is required.

Yes I found this out when I was calculating amounts. Being an amateur I worked out the total sqm then deducted openings, added back in reveals then a bit extra for waste. Presented this to various trades and they all said we just measure through. Same with the cladding I calculated it exactly accounting for the pitch then added 15%. They said oh we just square the building off and add 10%. 

3 hours ago, Kelvin said:

Out of interest, why have you left them ? 

Going to box out the reveals in birch ply. All interior joinery in the same. But as with every detail on this build, seems like you go slightly off-piste and everyone seems to struggle.

12 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

It also depends who is paying..

I have done so many small jobs with “waste” from bigger jobs (mostly my own 🤷‍♂️) I had a saw bench and thicknesser/ planer which helps 🥳

13 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

There is a big difference between measuring for an estimate, and measuring for construction.

It also depends who is paying.... A joiner will add 10% waste if someone else is paying. Less if his own.

As you know I followed your advice and didn’t have a skip on-site so we have had little wasted timber. We over ordered plasterboard though. 

1 hour ago, Tom said:

Going to box out the reveals in birch ply. All interior joinery in the same. But as with every detail on this build, seems like you go slightly off-piste and everyone seems to struggle.

That’s sounds a nice detail. Can’t quite imagine what it will look like but birch ply is nice. Look forward to seeing it. 

Edited by Kelvin
  • Like 1