Help me design my Kitchen/Dining/Living space!

Mattg4321

Really struggling to make up our minds as to how to lay this area out. We’d ideally like to incorporate a good sized table and a snug area, possibly with a TV. 

We think the bi folds will be slightly smaller than shown - to allow for a 900 breakfast bar and a 1200 gap between units. 

We’re open to closing off the opening between lounge and kitchen at the top right in the room as you look at the picture. Wife says we could have the kitchen in that corner. I’m not keen, seems like it would be darker there and I like to look out the window as I’m washing up/ cooking. It may help generate more space (in both rooms) though as we have a lot of openings in the room. 

Struggling with placement of table/sofa/ possible tv and if we’ll have enough room so it doesn’t feel cramped. 

Open to, and grateful for suggestions!

A07C6934-37F2-4B2D-BFB1-CB7E42A55445.png

Your wife is right, if you put a wall between the living room and the big room that top right corner will be the darkest spot.  But your dilemma of course is without a wall there where do you put sofas in the livingroom.

But if you had the kitchen oriented toward the south you’d be looking toward the light.

using good lighting etc and keeping decor light should mitigate this a bit too.

your house and extension is the same as our last house and it was difficult to get right.  We didn’t get ours right so what I’ve suggested is based upon our experience and learning from our mistakes.

hopefully others can provide alternate ideas.

IMG_1558.jpeg

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Bozza said:

Your wife is right, if you put a wall between the living room and the big room that top right corner will be the darkest spot.  But your dilemma of course is without a wall there where do you put sofas in the livingroom.

But if you had the kitchen oriented toward the south you’d be looking toward the light.

using good lighting etc and keeping decor light should mitigate this a bit too.

your house and extension is the same as our last house and it was difficult to get right.  We didn’t get ours right so what I’ve suggested is based upon our experience and learning from our mistakes.

hopefully others can provide alternate ideas.

IMG_1558.jpeg

That’s not a bad idea, thanks for your input. No obvious place for the tv and kitchen in the darkest corner being the only downsides I can see. 

It’s a good size space, but awkward to get right I think. 

The obvious place for the tv and comfy sofas is the living room at the front.

The obvious space for the dining table is the bit room at the back with the kitchen.

From personal preference you WANT doors between the living room and the kitchen diner.  I like a pair of glass panel doors or maybe a bifold set.   There will be times you regret not being able to separate the kitchen from the living room without them, unless you like sitting down for a quiet night witht he hum of the fridge and dishwasher spoiling your peace.

• Thanks 1

@Mattg4321 having lived in an almost identical space for 8 yrs, from our experience:

we initially had a secondary sofa area in the big room (in the dark corner), plus a TV.  Plus dining table, island etc.  They (sofa/tv) were rarely used so we removed the sofa so there was a telly on the wall which was more used for casual watching while cooking etc.  we kept our lounge separate, it looks like yours is around 4x4m too.  Difficulty with leaving it entirely open plan is a lack of cosiness and if you use a set of internal dividing doors, etc is you have limited walls for seating options as it looks like you’ve got a fire on the right hand side. If you’re able to shift the living room door into the corner too even better.

I would recommend you consider keep the livingroom entirely separate from the extension especially if the kitchen diner is likely to be a busy room.  It’s a retreat to go to unless you live in a magazine and your kitchen is permanently immaculate or quiet.  Your large open plan space would allow for, right to left, an amazing spacious kitchen with a feature massive island, large dining table and perhaps a reading chair or two in the dark corner or in front of the large glazing.

your square meterage is great but the square shape and locations of doors and glazing makes it tricky to get effectively three functional rooms into there and it could look and feel a little cramped.  If you had a rectangular space 10x 5 it would be easy to divide into the three zones, but you don’t.  I sense that’s your dilemma.

A lot will depend on your actual need for a second telly and sofa area.  If those are not essential consider binning them.  Good luck with whatever you decide.  

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/22/2023 at 12:48 PM, Mattg4321 said:

Really struggling to make up our minds as to how to lay this area out. We’d ideally like to incorporate a good sized table and a snug area, possibly with a TV. 

We think the bi folds will be slightly smaller than shown - to allow for a 900 breakfast bar and a 1200 gap between units. 

We’re open to closing off the opening between lounge and kitchen at the top right in the room as you look at the picture. Wife says we could have the kitchen in that corner. I’m not keen, seems like it would be darker there and I like to look out the window as I’m washing up/ cooking. It may help generate more space (in both rooms) though as we have a lot of openings in the room. 

Struggling with placement of table/sofa/ possible tv and if we’ll have enough room so it doesn’t feel cramped. 

Open to, and grateful for suggestions!

A07C6934-37F2-4B2D-BFB1-CB7E42A55445.png

P.S. As for furniture, we have so far decided on purchasing a kitchen cabinet, namely wholesale kitchen cabinets. It is of high quality, made of high-quality materials, so the choice fell on it.

Here are some ideas for placing furniture in your living room-kitchen:

Kitchen location in the corner

As you mentioned, your wife suggested placing the kitchen in the upper right corner of the room. This could be a good option if you want to free up more space in your living room. You can place the dining table in the center of the room, and the sofa and TV opposite. This will create a cozy place for communication and relaxation.

Here are some tips for placing a kitchen in a corner:

Make sure you have enough space to walk between the kitchen and living room.
Position kitchen cabinets and countertops so that they are accessible from all sides.
If you have a window in the corner, consider placing a kitchen table or bar next to it.

The location of the kitchen along the wall

You can also place the kitchen along the wall that is opposite the window. This will allow you to maintain the view from the window, but may make the kitchen feel a little more cramped.

Here are some tips for placing your kitchen along a wall:

Use corner cabinets to save space.
Position kitchen cabinets and countertops so that they are accessible from both sides.
If you have the space, you can add an island or peninsula to create additional work surface and storage area.

The location of the kitchen in the center of the room

If you want to create a more open floor plan, you can place the kitchen in the center of the room. This may be a good option if you host guests frequently.

Here are some tips for placing the kitchen in the center of the room:

Use kitchen islands or peninsulas to separate the kitchen from the living room.
Position kitchen cabinets and countertops so that they are accessible from all sides.
Add a dining table or bar to create a social space.

Lunch table arrangement

Regardless of where you place your kitchen, you will need to decide where to place your dining table. If you want to place a table in the center of the room, make sure it is large enough to accommodate all your guests. If you want to place the table in a corner or along a wall, you can choose a more compact option.

Location of the sofa and TV

A sofa and TV can be placed opposite the dining table to create a cozy area for socializing and relaxing. You can also place the sofa at the other end of the room to create a more private area.

Here are some tips for placing your sofa and TV:

Make sure you have enough space to walk between the sofa and other pieces of furniture.
Position the TV so that you can watch it comfortably from anywhere in the room.
Add a rug or throw to create a cozier atmosphere.

Ultimately, the best way to arrange furniture in your living room kitchen is to experiment and find what you like best. Try out different layouts using cardboard or paper furniture to see how they look in reality.