Can't fix, won't fix...what's the alternative

Thorfun

just to close this thread out.....

I've heard back from the BCO and I am correct with my research. because we have a secondary exit from the basement and emergency windows/exits from the first floor we do not need protected stairways. as such we don't even need the doors between the hallway and kitchen. we might fit something in the future for sound reduction but nothing for now. 

it's one less thing to worry about.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Thorfun said:

just to close this thread out.....

I've heard back from the BCO and I am correct with my research. because we have a secondary exit from the basement and emergency windows/exits from the first floor we do not need protected stairways. as such we don't even need the doors between the hallway and kitchen. we might fit something in the future for sound reduction but nothing for now. 

it's one less thing to worry about.

I think you will find that you do need doors to the kitchen otherwise the bedrooms on the first floor become inner rooms from a kitchen which is not permitted.

11 hours ago, ETC said:

I think you will find that you do need doors to the kitchen otherwise the bedrooms on the first floor become inner rooms from a kitchen which is not permitted.

even if they are considered inner rooms they're allowed as they are a max 4.5m above ground level and are provided with an emergency escape window. see 2.11.e

image.thumb.png.778fac04753b0561358cbde3018a6338.png

BCO said that we have one inner room in the basement that is an inner room and isn't permitted but that can be mitigated by fitting a smoke alarm in that room.

11 hours ago, ETC said:

I don't think they are inner rooms though?

image.png.543a81204b068a239c173ff3cd6c97af.png

but as all first floor rooms have a secondary means of escape they're not considered inner rooms.

that's my understanding

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Thorfun said:

I don't think they are inner rooms though?

image.png.543a81204b068a239c173ff3cd6c97af.png

but as all first floor rooms have a secondary means of escape they're not considered inner rooms.

that's my understanding

Double check it with your BCO. If you don't have doors to the kitchen - the hall and kitchen combined become the access room. Therefore all other rooms leading off the hallway and (by virtue that there are no doors to the kitchen) the kitchen are inner rooms. You can have an inner room accessed by the kitchen but only on the same floor the kitchen is on. The bedrooms are upstairs so don't comply. My thoughts anyway. 

APD:

Inner rooms 2.11 An inner room is permitted when it is one of the following. a. A kitchen. b. A laundry or utility room. c. A dressing room. d. A bathroom, WC or shower room. e. Any room on a storey that is a maximum of 4.5m above ground level which is provided with an emergency escape window as described in paragraph 2.10. f. A gallery that complies with paragraph 2.15. ONLINE VERSION ONLINE VERSION ONLINE VERSION ONLINE VERSION 16 Approved Document B Volume 1, 2019 edition Building Regulations 2010 B1 2.12 A room accessed only via an inner room (an inner inner room) is acceptable when all of the following apply. a. It complies with paragraph 2.11. b. The access rooms each have a smoke alarm (see Section 1). c. None of the access rooms is a kitchen.

TBE:

Access rooms to inner rooms 2.7 A habitable room may be an access room to any inner room. A kitchen should not be an access room to an inner room other than – (a) to a utility room or conservatory which has an emergency egress window complying with paragraph 2.9; or (b) where the kitchen and the inner room are on the same storey and the kitchen is part of an alternative escape route leading to its own final exit. See Diagram 2.2.

4 minutes ago, ETC said:

Double check it with your BCO. If you don't have doors to the kitchen - the hall and kitchen combined become the access room. Therefore all other rooms leading off the hallway and (by virtue that there are no doors to the kitchen) the kitchen are inner rooms. You can have an inner room accessed by the kitchen but only on the same floor the kitchen is on. The bedrooms are upstairs so don't comply. My thoughts anyway. 

APD:

Inner rooms 2.11 An inner room is permitted when it is one of the following. a. A kitchen. b. A laundry or utility room. c. A dressing room. d. A bathroom, WC or shower room. e. Any room on a storey that is a maximum of 4.5m above ground level which is provided with an emergency escape window as described in paragraph 2.10. f. A gallery that complies with paragraph 2.15. ONLINE VERSION ONLINE VERSION ONLINE VERSION ONLINE VERSION 16 Approved Document B Volume 1, 2019 edition Building Regulations 2010 B1 2.12 A room accessed only via an inner room (an inner inner room) is acceptable when all of the following apply. a. It complies with paragraph 2.11. b. The access rooms each have a smoke alarm (see Section 1). c. None of the access rooms is a kitchen.

TBE:

Access rooms to inner rooms 2.7 A habitable room may be an access room to any inner room. A kitchen should not be an access room to an inner room other than – (a) to a utility room or conservatory which has an emergency egress window complying with paragraph 2.9; or (b) where the kitchen and the inner room are on the same storey and the kitchen is part of an alternative escape route leading to its own final exit. See Diagram 2.2.

The lack of door requirements has come from the BCO from their technical department. So for our build it’s gospel and confirmed with the BCO and he’s going to put it in writing for me. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Thorfun said:

The lack of door requirements has come from the BCO from their technical department. So for our build it’s gospel and confirmed with the BCO and he’s going to put it in writing for me. 

Great stuff - in that case you're home in a boat! Good luck.

• Thanks 1