Steel spec to suspend motorcycle

Capable Noob

Hi all,

I'm looking to install a steel across the width of my garage with a view to suspending a motorbike from it (I've not ridden it for a few years and it's more just a display piece now).

The span is 5.7m and I wondered what spec steel I would need.  I wouldn't hang the bike centrally - it would be nearer one end of the steel near the wall.  The bike weighs around 180kg.  

I know I probably ought to speak to an SE, but I thought I'd see if there was any general consensus here on what spec I should go for.  I'm kind of looking for the smallest possible size really so it's a) not too intrusive and b) I've got a fighting chance of getting it in place.

Any help would be much appreciated.  Cheers

Do you need to span if you are looking to suspend nearer to a wall? What about cantilevered bracket off said wall? If you do need to span you don’t necessarily need a steel beam, could be timber. If steel could also be cold rolled (purlin etc) rather than hot rolled. Loads of possible solutions.

8 hours ago, markc said:

Do you need to span if you are looking to suspend nearer to a wall? What about cantilevered bracket off said wall? If you do need to span you don’t necessarily need a steel beam, could be timber. If steel could also be cold rolled (purlin etc) rather than hot rolled. Loads of possible solutions.

I'd like to span the full width so I can swap ends if I rearrange the room and I may hang other items from it too (obviously vastly lighter than the motorbike, possibly a couple of mountain bikes etc).  I did wonder about a timber I-beam or glulam etc but I think then the cost would exceed the cost of steel perhaps??

7 hours ago, Russdl said:

More importantly, what bike is it? I can probably look after it for you, save you the hassle 😀

It's an old 90's Ducati Superlight.  I've not started it for around five years so it will need recommissioning - at some point I will sort it but at the moment the house is the priority sadly.  It's currently in the lounge but her indoors said that's not a long term solution - strange!

53 minutes ago, JohnMo said:

At 180kg, is it a Harley?

It's a Ducati - I think officially it's about 170kg but I thought I'd err on the side of caution.  (Harley's are generally over 200kg).

Thanks for the input guys.

11 minutes ago, Capable Noob said:

I did wonder about a timber I-beam or glulam

I like glulams but steel might be more “industrial” to go with the bike 🤷‍♂️

11 minutes ago, Capable Noob said:

It's currently in the lounge but her indoors said that's not a long term solution - strange!

Wimin eh! You need a man shed (just waiting to bring my kit car here) 👍

IMG_0308.jpeg

Edited by joe90
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, joe90 said:

I like glulams but steel might be more “industrial” to go with the bike 🤷‍♂️

Wimin eh! You need a man shed (just waiting to bring my kit car here) 👍

IMG_0308.jpeg

Nice - gotta love a Guzzi!!  I keep looking on and off for an old 1000S (green/black or orange/black) and also a Daytona or 1100Sport.  So many toys to try, yet so little time (and money!)

57 minutes ago, JohnMo said:

Way nicer than a Harley then.

I never really got the Harley thing.  A friend had a FatBoy which I had a go on and admittedly it was good fun but at 300+kg I wouldn't want to drop it!!!