Anybody watching Grand designs this evening.

7 hours ago, ProDave said:

because the DNO would not allow it

Neither did they allow it for this build they discussed this at the end as you mention, bit of a dig by Kevin about the problem with the DNOs - so although they had the energy for export it could not be. The house does generate the 4 times but the DNO cannot take it away - ridiculous. I guess you need to find a way to keep stacking up 3 phase connections and all the standing charges that demands to make this work. 

If he had batteries and 3phase, I think he could squeeze the power down the line even if he’s restricted to 16A.  
That is 16Ax240Vx3phasex24hr =276kWh/day.  If it’s not an MCS install and not paid for it, who would do this?

And it is huge!  1.2M seemed good value compared to a lot of houses out there.  Though I guess it’s 1.2M + 3 years of his work.

9 hours ago, ProDave said:

But what did get me quite angry and shouting at the television was this Passive House Plus.  The house has to generate 4 times the power it uses.  That's a very laudable aim and one you would hope would be achievable.  And it is the achievable bit that got me angry and shouting, because where I am, and in countless other places it would simply NOT be achievable.  Not because I don't want to, but because the DNO would not allow it.

Looking forward to watching this one.

Given this I believe they were going for PH Premium. To which the institute clearly suggests that self generation is problematic and suggest buying a share in a local wind turbine or similar. This share of generation is then "tied" to the house for PH Premium certification.

https://passipedia.org/certification/passive_house_categories/classic-plus-premium

Doesn't take away from the point that DNOs might like to help us with delivering our generation more easily!

11 minutes ago, Duncan62 said:

Doesn't take away from the point that DNOs might like to help us with delivering our generation more easily!

They will if you pay.

I currently pay 65p/day, £237.25 a year, part of which is for network upgrades.

I have recently paid £200 to put my car on the road for a year, I want a larger road between my house and work, not going to happen at £200 a year.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, MR10 said:

I didn't catch a name, only the location 'Tallin, Estonia'. It could be this

https://roofit.solar/solar-roof/solar-roof-panels/

I want to put a solar array on a 3m x 10m outbuilding. It's covered by loose-laid EPDM at the moment. These looks as though they could do the generation and weatherproofing in one hit

I was looking at a £13K quote (including batteries etc). I wonder if this is DIY-able.....or whether I should get the Estonians in!

Regards

Tet