Big Six - dirty tricks

I recently changed my electricity supplier from EDF to another of the big six.  I gave a meter reading to the new company, and waited.  Eventually, I got a final bill from EDF, but the final meter reading was 664 Kwh more than my meter reading.  I wondered where they had got that "meter reading" from, so did a bit of homework.  Turns out that my meter reading, plus the 664 kwhs came to EXACTLY EDF's projected figure for the year.  So, I had been charged for £86.00 more electricity than I had used.  I rang up and complained, got no explanation, but was told they would resolve within 30 days.  The day after, I received an e'mail, acknowledging my complaint, and the day after, I received a cheque for the full amount.  No apology, no explanation, just another final bill.  I have solar PV panels, so don't buy in a huge amount from the supplier.  I think calling this "sharp practice" is being kind to them, more like fraudulent behaviour.  Still, it does show that these companies CAN correct things quickly when the boot is on the other foot!  Make sure you scrutinise any bills very carefully, particularily final bills.  

Edited by pulhamdown
Typo
  • Like 1

This is a timely reminder, as I'm going through similar shenanigans with British Gas, having switched to Iresa a few weeks ago.  Currently BG owe us around £130, and are insisting that our direct debit will be taken each month, at a revised figure that seems to have been plucked from thin air.  Needless to say the DD has been cancelled, and I now anticipate a long and drawn out struggle to get BG to pay us what they owe.  It remains to be seen if Iresa customer service is any better - I've not been impressed so far.

I have had nothing but trouble with IRESA. The latest that I am about to raise a support ticket for, is I went to submit a monthly meter reading, and my MPAN number has disappeared from the system. Instead it says "your meter points are being set up"  Until that is resolved I can't submit a reading.

45 minutes ago, ProDave said:

I have had nothing but trouble with IRESA. The latest that I am about to raise a support ticket for, is I went to submit a monthly meter reading, and my MPAN number has disappeared from the system. Instead it says "your meter points are being set up"  Until that is resolved I can't submit a reading.

Sounds familiar.  Their support ticket system is dire, as they just ignore every message you send them, it seems.  I did get reasonable support via the phone, and asked if they could review their dysfunctional support ticket system.  It remains to be seen if they do anything.

I had Eon install a meter then swapped to Ebico no standing charge. 

The final bill (which was also the first) was wildly out and I had to go back to them to tell them it was wrong - it was £60 not £14..!

Eon told me that SSE gave them the opening read, and SSE said they got it from Eon .... luckily I used to work in the business so I said I was raising a complaint which means the bill goes on hold. I re-read the meter and gave both the reading over 3 weeks later and it was still less than 1/3rd of what Eon wanted. 

In the end they settled on just 50% of the original value and I got bored chasing for the £10 difference...

They are all useless ...!