Brick sourcing

allthatpebbledash

Having found out the supply of bricks is a little nuanced, I’m wondering if there’s manufacturers out there who’ll sell directly to self builders.

We have a decent sized plot and could possibly off take a load at a time, maybe even a wagon load.

I’ve searched the forum and come across York Handmade, but wondering if there’s others?

We’re based in West Yorkshire.

I wouldn’t rule out dealing with builders merchants. If you are prepared to order a full load which is delivered directly from the factory, they will probably do it cheaper than you can buying direct, even with their mark up. 

Furness bricks will send you a list of sites in your area of recently built houses , useing their bricks.

Good to see how they look when built.

Mortar and pointing also has a bit impact on appearance.

We had a slightly coloured mortar, looks great but a real pain to match when you want a small quantity for odd bits at the end.

I bought my bricks from Jewson.  They have a dedicated brick rep who covers the Midlands - he was very helpful & happy to deal with a self builder.  I was sourcing materials during lockdown when UK factories weren't producing.  He eventually found me some beautiful bricks from Belgium at a great price - my brickies said they were better quality than most UK bricks they'd ever laid.

• Like 1

I only ever specify local stock bricks. That way we can get more if necessary.

It also permits repair and modification in the long term with minimal colour change.

Mass production bricks are usually of regular dimensions and shapes. Much as it is nice to use rustic bricks they can be awful to lay.

If you know what make, colour and how many bricks you need for the build, plus outbuildings and landscaping ie. 12000 it puts you in a strong negotiation position to get the price nailed down low even from your local builder's merchant's.

The building game is suffering already due to the economy, and even more now due to the current rain and the onset of winter.

I bought a few thousand handmade bricks from a builder's merchant's last week and they almost gave them away, and they are a nice quality brick and a stock item should I need more.