Can I replace window from inside?

JohnBishop

You should be able to, but a lot will depend on how the window and the EWI 'interact', and whether the window originally went in from the inside or from outside. Worst-case scenario could be that the inner lintel obstructs the frame coming out inwards, but I think that's unlikely. Even if you had to cut the frame out in bits you could do so with little damage to the EWI with, say, careful use of a reciprocating saw.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, craig said:

Yes, we always replace from the inside

I have always wondered why this is not a standard practice.

And why do a lot of windows designs stop replacement glazing being fitted from the inside.

19 hours ago, JohnBishop said:

have outside insulation

Looks a very similar system to what the Mark Group were fitting a few years back.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

It's not always 100% possible and sometimes better to replace from the external side (brick to brick for example) but we'll still aim to remove and replace from the inside, especially if 1st floor.

24 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

And why do a lot of windows designs stop replacement glazing being fitted from the inside.

Looks a very similar system to what the Mark Group were fitting a few years back.

I think the problem is the sills supposed to be attached before it all goes together with the window frame into the window opening.

Thanks for pointing out that the insulation was done by Mark Group. I bet it was as they operate in East Midlands and this was done as a bulk job for Nottingham Community Housing Association Ltd. I reckon they did a good job not sure how long ago.

Edited by JohnBishop

14 hours ago, Crofter said:

There will be a way of doing it from the inside. A reciprocating saw is your friend.

I get that I can use the saw to help to remove it but I still need to hack off the plaster to put one in. Just wondering how much do I need to hack off not to overdo.

Edited by JohnBishop

looks like the external sill is now built into the walls, which makes it interesting as the sill is usually screwed into the bottom of the frame (from the bottom).

open a window and look to see if they have screwed through the sides of the frames into the walls when fitting them, if not then they have probably been fitted with straps that will be buried under the plaster. looks like they have fitted trim up the sides of the frame on the outside, so hopefully it is a bit undersize which will give you some wiggle room getting it out and the render is stuck to the trim and not the frame, although the trim will be superglued to the frame. externally glazed too just to add to the fun. probably just been foamed in LOL.

a multi tool will cut through the frames.

i think my plan of attack would be to cut the plasterboard off the top and one of the sides about 2" away from the corner bead then about 2" away from the frame on the other side. measure the size of window needed aiming for a looser fit than normal 😆. id be tempted to just cut the old sill out with a multitool and make the 'horns' of the new sill slightly bigger to cover over what's been buried in the EWI. then just screw and foam the new one in. 

• Thanks 1