Struggling to change flush mechanism

saveasteading

I can't release the flush mechanism. From previous experience it needs a slight twist to release, then clean the rubber seal or replace.

In practice I'll probably change the whole thing as its mucky, bits broken off, and single flush.

But I can't budge it, either by wiggling and lifting or by twisting. I'm wondering if those grooves are there for  tool purchase. 

I'm concerned that the original installer put some adhesive in, although it's more likely lime, which is the issue anyway. 

Heave ho? Or something subtler? It's a roca cistern but not necessarily the same innards.

20231007_164715.jpg

20231007_165013.jpg

1 minute ago, ProDave said:

What's stopping you unscrewing the whole thing from under the cistern?

Nothing, except it's another thing to do, and it might be stuck too, and then the plumber's gunk.

Worst is that the plastic breaks in situ. The internal hangers have bits missing so it's all perhaps brittle, or badly treated. Or maybe it's masticced in.

I've done this a couple of times before, and thought modern ones were all supposed to click out.

9 hours ago, ProDave said:

My thought is the twist release mechanism you are hoping for is unlikely to be standard between manufacturers so even if you could release it, would you be able to find a replacement that would fit?  

+1 It doesn't look like any I've seen. 

Not seen that type myself. If it is hard water scale it will take some shifting. I would be taking the bowl out to make life easier. Its why I have never used the built in the wall ones. I have never fancied trying to change whatever through the hole in the front. Best of luck.

Cistern came off easily. Flush mechanism unscrewed with a nudge.

So now, for interest,  I have managed to unclip the flush part. It was clipped on and just needed a screwdriver. In situ it would have needed a wide, stubby screwdriver.  Photo for completeness.

Loads of lime on the seal and everywhere. It can't be worth cleaning  and refitting the think so I'll get a new generic one.20231010_113928.thumb.jpg.9011ad43d6116ec2d3b256e1ccb4c6e4.jpg

I found the same Roca model on Amazon but no point in waiting for it.

So it's still available. How can that cost £25?