Door Width

Barney12

I'm dithering again :D This is the problem with ecology delays, too much time to think!

Our front elevation design relies on all the glazing broadly being split into 4 panels. I like the symmetry/design of this.

Front.jpg

We also have external shading (brise soleil) so most of the glazing has to either be sliding or inward opening.

My only slight concern is widths of the proposed openings for the kitchen (picture: ground left), Bed 2 (picture: upper left) and office/snug (picture: ground right). They are all broadly as follows:

2016-06-08_16-40-18.jpg

Thus the opening sections (two middle panels) are each 600mm wide.

The only other option would be patio style sliders with a false mullian but this adds a fair bit to the quote cost.

Its also worth noting that our windows/doors will be heavily recessed (planning condition) so the fixed side panels are useful in that the two openers will be able to fold back more than 90 degrees.

My question is: Do you think 600mm is wide enough to step through comfortably? These wont be access doors so occasional use. I'm worried it will be a nuisance factor to have to open both sides for occasional access?

No problem for SWMBO as shes tiny! If she stands sideways and pokes her tongue out she looks like a zip :) I'm a little more "robust" but only 14.5 stone! 

TIA!

Will building control allow you to have a door that's only 600mm wide??

Think my elbows would be wacking the frame each time I used the door.

Can you not have a 1200mm door with a center bar in it so it resembles what you are after.

600mm is probably fine for an occasional use door as seen above.

Alternatively you could turn then into triple panels of 3x800mm with a single panel door which may be cheaper? You'd maybe want to adjust other windows to match.

1 hour ago, Declan52 said:

Will building control allow you to have a door that's only 600mm wide??

Think my elbows would be wacking the frame each time I used the door.

Can you not have a 1200mm door with a center bar in it so it resembles what you are after.

The total opening width is 1200mm so no building control issues as far as I can see.

1 hour ago, Mikey_1980 said:

We went for symetry and our doors are 1.2 and they are fine for everday use.

tmp_18499-20160607_213716-1232017745.jpg

That's brilliant to know. Nothing like real life experience. I'm glad I'm not the only one with OCD about symmetry :)

What about 2x800 doors (with a central glazing bar if required) and 2x400 sidelights. It will be much more comfortable as the chances are you won't want the faff of opening both doors every time you want to go out