Advice on roofing needed please 🙏

Gremlinz85

Hi 

Probably in the wrong forum. But I've had my roof ridge and hip tiles ground out and pointed with roofing mortar.

The total bill of £2k. Now the roof is leaking like mad. The front looks like its bowed from where they have been walking up and down it.

Is this normal practice for roofers/builders to grind out and butter up the ridges hips? Is this the right price to pay?

The builder is refusing to rectify issues but wants to remove the valley reinstalling a new one to sort a new bedroom leak, yet this was not an issue until they ground it out. 

I went on their advice suggesting this would end condensation issues. But just getting on the step ladder can see there's cracks between a few ridge tiles.

Thankyou for any help or advice

20230924_105558.jpg

20230924_105629.jpg

Thankyou both for your reply.

My camera is terrible or i am trying to use it haha. But here is a before and after shot of roof.

Doesn't look like much of a difference but the front tiles look flatter then they were.

No scaffolding was used. They pushed a ladder against the front guttering and walked up and down the roof.

The quote was grinding out ridge and hips also the valley and repointing them.

IMG-20230924-WA0017.jpg

20230924_105946.jpg

20230923_143943.jpg

20230923_154414.jpg

Walking on a roof is perfectly acceptable and I have done a great number. If your roof is leaking then the felt is knackered. The mortaring they have done is crap (in my opinion) the ridge and hip tiles should have been lifted, cleaned then re bedded on new motor, not buttered as they have done. If I had quoted for this I would have looked inside your loft to assess the felt condition and possibly recommended strip and re felt and batten using the same tiles if they were ok. I have done this on numerous houses.  Best of luck getting a cowboy to give you’re money back I am afraid 

• Thanks 1

the trouble with a roof leak, is where the water appears through the ceiling is usually a long way from where the actual leak in the roof is, and even with water appearing from multiple places it could all be a single leak in the roof.

The only way to find it is a good look around inside the loft space with a torch when it is raining heavily and persistently.

Only when you locate the leak can you move forwards and deal with it.  It may or may not be related to the recent work.

• Thanks 1

When my brother bought his house, over 25 years ago, he asked me about stripping and reverting his roof as from the loft you can see daylight spots in many places, however when it rains it never leaks 🤷‍♂️ so I said wait till it leaks and it never has 🤣

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, joe90 said:

When my brother bought his house, over 25 years ago, he asked me about stripping and reverting his roof as from the loft you can see daylight spots in many places, however when it rains it never leaks 🤷‍♂️ so I said wait till it leaks and it never has 🤣

We have an old lime torched roof, where bits of mortar have fallen away over the years and as such you can see day light, results in more slipped slates, but (that part of the roof, at least) is bone dry. 

• Like 2

Commisserations on your roofing cowboys! You have my sympathies as we have also had our roof 'fixed' only for it to leak more.

Can anyone reco.mend how to find a good roofer?? 

Struggling to find reliable trades & have been burnt previously even with extensive research & local recommendations.

Is there any sort of guaranteed  trade association?? 

I'd be grateful for any tips!

Edited by redherring
Didn't read right
  • Like 1

Thankyou all so much for your response. I've gathered my evidence for them so they cannot argue. My roof has dipped and also the chimney may be the reason for the other leaks as well as the other shoddy bits.Screenshot_20230928_153425_Gallery.thumb.jpg.3cf4fab6a2e7f5a336eaf409d173ab51.jpgScreenshot_20230928_151549_WhatsApp.thumb.jpg.608bd75ebbe35279971ebfebec4895c1.jpg20230926_123820.thumb.jpg.a1c68e9d8ee58ab88afa84f4c8ac8747.jpg

Not sure what is occuring with the lead flashing around the chimney.

The repointing looks also interesting.

In the loft is where them beam across is no longer attached.

Chimney and loft photos are after 3 days of dry. Rains on the way tonight, so will see later if there are other leaks are causing my issues also.

I have written to them again. So hopefully will get somewhere or at least an weird and wonderful excuse. 😄 🤣 😂 

I was told he primed the valley and is yet to seal it. But surprisingly heard nothing on that again either.

The builder stated my 87yr old neighbour previously took a seagull nest off my roof. I don't think builder realises we continually natter. 87yr old has a fear of heights/ladders and his near on 90yr old wife would definitely not be holding the ladder for him. I thought it was odd he never told me.

20230926_123408.jpg

On 24/09/2023 at 17:07, twice round the block said:

What work was quoted for within the price?

Quote was for ridge and hips repointing and chimney. Sorry forgot to mention chimney in previous comment. I asked for what he thought would be the best option to deal with damp issues.

• Like 1