Is this acceptable - surely not

Jimbo37

Hi all, my gut is that this is simply not acceptable, but I need your thoughts before I speak to the builder, please. So many of the delivered flags are chipped - is this an acceptable consequence of transportation? Thanks, James

230921-bale.jpg

230921-laid.jpg

Edited by Jimbo37

What make and type?

They look like the ones i used.  As I started to unload them from the pallets, I noticed a LOT of broken tiles (many MUCH worse than your examples).  So much so that I notified the supplier and told them if I do not have enough to complete the job due to breakages, then I would expect the broken on arrival tiles to be replaced.

In my case I had 6 valleys to tile, and I adopted the practice on only use already broken tiles for the valley cuts.  And I was then able to complete the job.  Some may say I let them off the hook by being so obliging to do that.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ProDave said:

What make and type?

AG Canterra

14 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Some may say I let them off the hook by being so obliging to do that.

No, I think a reasonable approach is always to be applauded - and some may say good carma. Well done!

Edited by Jimbo37

18 minutes ago, ProDave said:

They look like the ones i used.

Thats kind of made me laugh - nice brand new :(

Ignore above comment - I misread as "they look like used", as in second hand :(

Edited by Jimbo37

15 minutes ago, ProDave said:

I noticed a LOT of broken tiles

Most of the damage in the bales is on the back side of the flag - maybe could be slightly more accepting here. Am I right to expect builder to only use perfectly faced tiles, every single time, or should I be saying same of all damaged backs?

1 hour ago, ProDave said:

I blame the poor way they are packed and the even poorer way builders merchant hiabs handle them.

Yes, I agree as I see the damage in the bales. I think the builder is lacking by laying them too - should be set aside.

Apparently, this damage is a result of a known problem on the production line conveyor belt, where each tile gets a knock - and it is now fixed!!

They swear that it's of no consequence if face isn't damaged, and are happy to replace face damages - i dont honestly know, but wonder if usage and frost will cause further chipping. About 30% have been laid, but remainder not needed until 2 weeks. I'm finding it hard to decide if I should go with their offer, or tell them to replace all the unlaid batch? I'd like to roll on, but can't be a "saft gab" either!

On 21/09/2023 at 18:24, Jimbo37 said:

AG Canterra

Exactly what we have and had similar issues. Ours came wrapped in plastic tho. I'd say about 1 in 10 or even 1 in 8 had a chip of some sort. Not really been an issue as I've been setting those to the side for cutting.

On 23/09/2023 at 06:28, Conor said:

Not really been an issue

Thanks @Conor - we have been setting about 1:4 aside, and AG will replace. I still think I was sold seconds, and I'll have this conversation with them, hopefully tomorrow

Edited by Jimbo37

2 hours ago, Jimbo37 said:

Thanks @Conor - we have been setting about 1:4 aside, and AG will replace. I still think I was sold seconds, and I'll have this conversation with them, hopefully tomorrow

When they drop off the new slabs, make sure you set them alongside your other ones to make sure there is no big difference in shade. We had two separate orders and the second batch were noticeably darker than the first.