Fire door in garage conversion

Bodger

Afternoon

Building control have pulled me on putting a fire door in a garage conversion, it’s only going to have wheelie bins and bikes in but still has to meet regs

i don’t agree with the fire door being used as the main door as it’s not secure and not well insulated.

before I contact BC, can I put 2 doors in the opening? A fire door on the external wall and a composite door on the internet skin?

fire door to meet building regs and composite for security and draught exclusion

thanks

D458BD74-D9D9-413A-8A0C-F1AD295A6C46.jpeg

Hi @Bodger

No reason why not 2 doors. check with BCO. The garage one will have to open into the garage and the internal one into the room, I assume.

Don't forget the fire door frame has to be special as well - with intumescent strip and fire rated hinges and lock/latch, and covered key holes.

Good luck

M

• Thanks 1

Two doors should be allowed.

You can get composite fire doors which would look like the door you have in there and should provide some level of insulation. Looks like they aren't cheap at around £1000 but would ave two lots of door frame and so on as well as the hassle of two doors.

The actual heat loss from a door to an internal garage would be pretty small. I wold be more worried about draughts and it should be possible to make a fire door air tight.