Recommended reading material

Hi guys,

Are there any books out there that you would recommend that explains the process of building an extension / house from start to finish in a comprehensive manner?

I have looked at a few in the library but, even for me, a complete novice, they are very basic.

I would be looking to learn how to know where to dig your trench. How to find your sewer and waste etc. Where do you direct rain water from downpipe etc.

Thanks.

Don't get me started again @SteamyTea Like that poor fella who was asked to spend a load of cash because he had a flawed Air test. He had some of his uncontrolled air losses taped off for his air test. It might well have been what was required for the test, but it didn't make his result scientifically correct. Luckily, the BCO understood that the test, although carried out correctly, was flawed. Science, i think i went once, and sometimes, logic beats science.

• Like 1

Mark Brinkley - Housebuilders Bible - 15th Edition just out. 

https://www.waterstones.com/book/the-housebuilders-bible-2023/mark-brinkley//9781916016835

Google has it listed under Architecture & Religion for some reason?! 

Not the guide you want to covers nearly everything else, costs etc. 

Best guides for you would be on youtube - skillbuilder is doing an extension series currently. Up to Episode 5 so far. 

Lots of other great channels but you may have seen this already? 

1 hour ago, Apprentice said:

to know where to dig your trench. How to find your sewer and waste etc.

The best books I know and use on general construction are very old ones. Building Construction, by McKay in 3 volumes

I use them for reference on refurb work.  Some procedures have changed, plastic wasn't around,  but much is is the same.....dig a hole, pour concrete.

They are probably available second (or n times) -hand

A member of staff who had been through college swore by 'Chudley' and it is still available. Perhaps others on here have used it.

I'd then suggest following all discussions on here, and delving into the interesting ones.

Plus binge watch grand designs etc. just to watch construction in action, then ask remaining questions on here. The more specific

the better. 

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRGWw84pSH6JZGo1Wfl7SWf4lkkgvYAN7S9NFNjn1ButWDS22kF

• Thanks 1