Home Insurance Options

Hi All,

Can anyone please advise on home companies that provide Home Insurance? I was quoting with LVE but when asked "s it of standard construction?" the description says:

The walls need to be made of at least 50% brick, stone or concrete.

The roof, including any flat roofs, will need to be made of at least 50% slate, tile, metal, asphalt or concrete.

Talking with their rep, he said "Timber frame we wouldn't class this as standard construction, if the timber frame is more than 50% of the home then I'm afraid we wouldn't offer cover. "

Any other options around?

Thanks again

I've just taken up a policy with Intelligent Insurance. The price was so competitive that I'm wondering it it's too good to be true...

Edit: Sorry, Intelligent Insurance, not Intelligent Finance.

Edited by IanR
  • Like 1

Thanks for the quick reply @IanR!

I am wondering the exact definition of non-standard....Modern "timber-frame construction" is totally different to that insurers would consider non-standard nowadays!

My house other skin is rendered in cement based render, wondering if that makes any difference....

Nationwide cover them, as do most of the mainstream insurers as the construction method is common these days.

When they ask about walls and roofing, it is the outer cladding they are (usually) referring to. Essentially if you have part timber clad and part masonry, and a part flat roof, as long as its 50% brick and 50% tile you are fine.

• Like 1

+1 intelligent insurance. We have timber with render and ICF basement.

I purchased the policy through topcashback, if memory serves right the questions guided me through the construction types. The quote this route was a bit cheaper than going direct to them, plus I got about £30 cashback a few months later.

• Like 1