Hi everyone from Bicester!

TheMitchells

It is a shame to hear such news. Will you just purchase an established house following the sale? It seems you have fallen out of love with renovating and or the thought of a self build. Is that really down to the experiences you have been exposed to or is it because of the desire to remain in a  particular postcode? I know how difficult it can be moving a distance from family as we are about to do that in February - we will be putting 300 miles between ourselves and the immediate family. That is a choice we have made to realise our dream. Difficult choices. I wish you good luck with yours.

PW.

Guest Alphonsox
1 hour ago, TheMitchells said:

With regard the house build, we are thinking more and more that it is unlikely to happen for us:(.

Congratulations on a great decision. You have taken a long hard look at what's involved and decided that self build is not for you - That's a lot more than most will have done.

You could have jumped in with both feet and sunk (we came close) or still be day-dreaming of what-ifs. Instead you have made an informed choice having looked at the pros and cons from your point of view.

33 minutes ago, Redoctober said:

It seems you have fallen out of love with renovating and or the thought of a self build. Is that really down to the experiences you have been exposed to or is it because of the desire to remain in a  particular postcode?

Yes, we need to stay here for a few years at least - elderly parents need me nearby and the OH is in the RAF reserves and is enjoying it.  When he retires from that, we can reconsider our location.  We have looked at Shropshire/Herefordshire areas but cannot do anything serious about it yet.  I found some lovely plots in Bishops Castle but its just not the right time and I think by then, we wil definately be past doing it.  But its always going to be my lifes wish, to build my own house.  And i can dream!  :D

Renovations are a big undertaking, so we'll done on getting there! A couple of friends have done them on really old properties and me and OH are both agreed we much prefer a new build! We've taken 2. 5 years so far but will pretty much be 3years to fully complete - its tough but we've never sacrificed a nights sleep, always in bed for 10pm! :-) enjoy the fruits of this one and I'm sure you'll take stock and always keep one eye on plots. Before we got the water tank, we had pretty much bought an old barn - it fell through and it seemed we would never find anywhere. I've probably said it before but you never know what might come up.

Btw - lists are essential! I've got a wee blue book full of them, even at 34 I forget a lot! Effort to build - don't forget you can design your house to be easy to build with only a little thought.

Have a good New Year and don't leave us! Jamie  

• Like 1

Yes, we need to stay here for a few years at least - elderly parents need me nearby and the OH is in the RAF reserves and is enjoying it.  When he retires from that, we can reconsider our location. 

Good call. I reckon that if it doesn't fit in your lives just yet, don't try and force it in, and don't underestimate what you've achieved with a renovation job. I'm also an RAF reservist, and with that, a full time job, teenage kids and an ongoing build, I'm thinking it would have been an ideal retirement project...

• Like 1

its always going to be my lifes wish, to build my own house.  And i can dream!  :D

It's dreaming that keeps the spring in my step tbh. I get to build wonderful things all the time...........just for someone else. ?

Enjoy life, keep touch here, and come what may. 

1 hour ago, jamiehamy said:

Btw - lists are essential! I've got a wee blue book full of them, even at 34 I forget a lot!

As for lists, I can't even go to asda without one. If I do one of my kids doesn't eat ?

• Like 1