Hello - Future Self Builder in Perthshire

Pasty

12 minutes ago, Amateur bob said:

450k? id that getting a builder to do complete job? using different trades and organising yourself should come in a lot cheaper than 450k

founds and services 40k

timber frame 90k

roof 30k

electrics 20k

plumbing 20k

windows and doors 25k

joinery 20k

cladding 20k

sewage/drainage 10k

landscaping 10k

kitchen/bathrooms 20k

total 305k

these are my rough calculations mabye im out on a few things? happy to discuss them as planning a build myself

I mean in the case of using a builder. £1530 per sqm is cheap these days. Though I did just bring my garage at £1238 per sqm and that includes things like garage door, steel and outdoor galvanised steel staircase. 

4 hours ago, Ecthelion said:

I mean in the case of using a builder. £1530 per sqm is cheap these days. Though I did just bring my garage at £1238 per sqm and that includes things like garage door, steel and outdoor galvanised steel staircase. 

what did you think of the rough costings i put up? anything ive missed?

8 hours ago, Amateur bob said:

450k? id that getting a builder to do complete job? using different trades and organising yourself should come in a lot cheaper than 450k

founds and services 40k

timber frame 90k

roof 30k

electrics 20k

plumbing 20k

windows and doors 25k

joinery 20k

cladding 20k

sewage/drainage 10k

landscaping 10k

kitchen/bathrooms 20k

total 305k

these are my rough calculations mabye im out on a few things? happy to discuss them as planning a build myself

I think the roof would be more like £40k, joinery would be double, landscaping double.  then there are things like fencing, flooring, skimming/taping, decorating. Probably £25k for all that. Maybe a wood burner £5k. Underfloor heating £3k onto the plumbing. 

and contingency for things going wrong. 

you will want a good finish for all your effort.

• 2 weeks later...

Well that didn't go to plan.  I thought it might take 6-12 months to find a plot so I am more than happy with 3 weeks!  

First quotation in connection with the build has arrived - £1600 + VAT for conveyancing fees.  Higher than I anticipated but suppose I had better get used to that feeling.

• Like 1

On 28/09/2023 at 18:34, Pasty said:

First quotation in connection with the build has arrived - £1600 + VAT for conveyancing fees.  Higher than I anticipated but suppose I had better get used to that feeling.

We’re also building in Perthshire, don’t no if we could of organised it better but we had scary coneyencing fees twice, first when we acquired the land then second a year later once planning and building warrant where in place an we needed to mortgage it.

• 2 weeks later...

Im currently looking into water connection scottish water have given me a pricey quote which involves crossing a road and fields(we own the fields) 600m away, however the plot is at farm steading we own which has water for the steading i could simply tap into?

there is also a seperate pipe running across another field 100m away which goes from our steading to a neighbours cottage which i could tap into, would either of these 2 alternate options be legal? as they would save a lot of time, work and money!

the steading and this cottage are on a metre but the neighbour subtracts his metre from the total with residential being free

thanks!