Do Building Regs apply?

Hi,
We've just moved into a brand new house which has single garage, detached from the house, but attached to next doors garage.

I would like to put up a partition wall in it, so behind the up and over door there is space of around 8ft for storing garden stuff.

On the other side of the wall, around 17ft, I would like to put up a dartboard and maybe have a pool table. On this side, so it's more usable in the winter months, I was thinking of adding some insulation to the 2 outside walls, roof and maybe on the floor. I was thinking of putting up stud on the outside walls with a Damp Proof Membrane behind and 50mm Celotex (or similar). The same insulation in the joists. On the floor, I was going to put down a damp proof membrane and some thin insulation (10mm) and 22mm chipboard flooring - this would bring it level with the bottom of the door.

I'm not wanting to make this a habitable space as such, just less inhabitable. 

Would this be subject to building regulations ?

Edited by mrmagoo34

My shed / workshop has damp course, insulation, flooring. electrics, lighting, internet and a fan heater for the winter. It's still a shed though and BC didn't enter my mind.

I could play darts in it, but it would take me two weeks to tidy it up enough to make space.

• Haha 1

Just be aware that the planning approval for the house (albeit as part of approval for the whole site) may require the garage be kept for the parking of a car so as to meet the local parking standards. 

However, is anyone going to find out? Unless a nosey neighbour dobs you in then I would just do it. Regs wise who says your can't insulate your garage to make the car more comfortable. If it's not used for sleeping then no one really is going to be bothered even if and it's a big if, it ever comes to light. Worst case scenario remove the partition.

Ultimately it may raise an issue when you come to sell, but being a new house that's likely to be a while off!