Red tap handle breaking down in UV

Super_Paulie

Major issue here guys. My outside taps, the red handle has faded but the blue has not. Once I'd got over the absolute shock and horror it got me thinking of any solution to this. Trivial I know, but an issue I'd like to look into so the taps don't look tired even though they are new. As these are marketed as outside taps it seems a bit weak to fade in a few months.

IMG_20230904_200930.jpg

5 minutes ago, Temp said:

When we bought our red SMax the sales rep tried to upsell me a ceramic coating saying "red cars fade more than other colours". I didn't believe him. 

But it did though I bet...?

My Nova used to come up like a fire engine after a polish. Got a blue car now, so like my blue handle its loving the sun.

16 minutes ago, Super_Paulie said:

But it did though I bet...?

My Nova used to come up like a fire engine after a polish. Got a blue car now, so like my blue handle its loving the sun.

Na 5 years later its still good as new. Possibly because its a mild metallic red so has a clear coat.

15 hours ago, Temp said:

red cars fade more than other colours". I didn't believe him. 

They used to. I had a pink Merc.

B and Q once has red as their image but the cladding and window frames  turned pink. Their orange is a bit better.

Cladding is rated for colour stability and I still wouldn't choose red, but it's OK.

But you are right that a respected manufacturer should have sourced non- fading grips. Ditto outdoor plastic that breaks in UV, swimming pool equipment that fails in chlorine, screws that are too soft to screw, measuring tapes that are wrong . I'll think of more.

reponse from Pegler.

Hi Paul

The PB50 bib tap is not designed for outdoor use, unfortunately it does not fair well when exposed to the elements.

This particular model is chrome plated so, If used outdoors, it  would need to be housed to prevent rusting and further discoloration due to exposure .

Kind regards

Toni

Why the hell would i have a bib hose tap inside my house? 😆 A tap that bleaches and rusts sounds like a hell of a product.