Hello- help on triple glazing

Jules62

Hello

My Partner and I are doing a self-build and currently living on-site (eek) We are looking to get as close to Passive Haus standards as we can.. We do work in the industry as I am an interior designer and my partner a builder so we thought that this would be easy for us ... how wrong can you be!!  Anyway, I am looking for some information on steel-framed Triple glazing... I found one with Krypton gas and wondered if anyone had any experience with this type of glazing. I've also been told that comfort glass can reach triple-glazing standards is this true or just a sales blurb?  Thank you in advance for any help ... we have so many questions I'm sure ill be posting a few more !! 

Think the main issue is even the good steel frames they are pretty rubbish thermally. You need to get the Uw figures. Passivhaus windows are going to be around 0.6 for the whole window, I looked at steel framed triple glazed and was circa 1.2 to 1.8 if memory is correct.

Have you got pictures of the style of window you are after. I can only think of Crittal type when I hear you say steel windows. Steel frames will be difficult to "thermally break", so I'd expect you to not have much choice for PassivHaus Steel windows.

Before considering the glazing type, make sure the frame type can achieve the required performance. Aluminium frames can be easily thermally broken as the frames are an extruded profile that can include the features to retain the insulated spaces between internal and external frames, but you can't do that in steel. Better still timber frames (for cost effective thermal performance, or ali-clad timber - but they won't have the look of a steel frame.

Oh wow ... Thank you all it's so helpful to read what other people think or have done. One company has said that their product features an advanced high-density insulated steel profile as a thermal barrier. along with Krypton triple glazing they will reach close to Passive Haus standards (not sure yet as it is depending on the sizes of the windows).. I'm so torn at the moment wanting the look of Steel but don't think I should compromise on the Ug Values as if I do it negates everything else we are doing! 

1 hour ago, Jules62 said:

wanting the look of Steel but don't think I should compromise on the Ug Values

That's why I suggested pictures. Any steel would have to be coated, and once it's coated would you visually be able to tell the difference from a coated aluminium. The answer is perhaps "yes", if it's a Crittal style frame you are after, but maybe not for other styles.

Don't just go on Thermal performance (U Value), also look at airtightness performance. A PH Timber or Aluminium frame is likely to have triple sealing for very good air tightness.

Edited by IanR

56 minutes ago, Jules62 said:

Oh wow ... Thank you all it's so helpful to read what other people think or have done. One company has said that their product features an advanced high-density insulated steel profile as a thermal barrier. along with Krypton triple glazing they will reach close to Passive Haus standards (not sure yet as it is depending on the sizes of the windows).. I'm so torn at the moment wanting the look of Steel but don't think I should compromise on the Ug Values as if I do it negates everything else we are doing! 

Don't listen to the sales pitch, ask for overall performance figures, and compare to industry standards.

Is this for just one or two windows or the entire house? When it comes to windows, as the weakest (thermally performing) component of a house, function has to come over form. I understand as a designer that might be tough to hear! The ratio of glass to frame makes a huge difference. If you are after a style with lots of small panes and lots of frames, you are going to be disappointed with performance compared to large format glazing. You'll have to greatly reduce the size and number of windows to hit the performance targets.

We looked at this with conservation rooflights. One supplier very honestly told us whilst they could make us a steel-framed triple-glazed rooflight it would be somewhat pointless as the thermal bridging on the frame would dominate whatever we did with the glazing.

We compromised in the end and used two types of rooflight on different elevations.  Taking the efficiency hit on the elevations that visually mattered most, and accepting a less authentic conservation style to allow proper thermally broken triple glazing on others.

22 hours ago, Jules62 said:

but don't think I should compromise on the Ug Values as if I do it negates everything else we are doing!

That really should read Uw not UG. 0.6 Ug, in a poor frame could be 2.0 Uw in a very poor frame.

22 hours ago, deancatherine09 said:

We love the style of Steel Crittal windows / doors but were building a passivehouse, and the two don't really mix well!

In the end we went with Velfac 3g units in black with glazing bars, which look really nice.

Thank you .. I'll take a look at them 

21 hours ago, JohnMo said:

That really should read Uw not UG. 0.6 Ug, in a poor frame could be 2.0 Uw in a very poor frame.

21 hours ago, JohnMo said:

Thank you... I will be sure to be careful about that!