Outdoor meter box

nod

Due to the power run being to far from the house I’m having to build a waterproof electrical box to house the meter Has anyone any pictures or diagrams they could share 

I remember seeing one posted a while back Brivk with doors at the front 

19 minutes ago, Conor said:

Brick on 100mm concrete base with 100mm duct innolace.. I put a simple osb door on with sliding bolt.

IMG_20191207_161952.thumb.jpg.3fd9e437b96fd6f8e41c870426ffe573.jpg

Perfect

Is that a flag on the roof ?

Do you have the dimensions?

23 minutes ago, nod said:

Perfect

Is that a flag on the roof ?

Do you have the dimensions?

Yeah. 600x900 flag. Mine is 900mm wide and 600mm deep, you can get away with a 600x600x slab but doesn't leave much room inside for your 110v transformers etc. Brickwork slightly short of this. Other DNOs may vary.

Screenshot_20230831_065820_Drive.thumb.jpg.73e3706b9165f80cf63f4c714b1c6015.jpg

Edited by Conor

18 minutes ago, Big Jimbo said:

@Dave Jones Any idea where a built in the side of a garage wall 3-phase box might be available from ?

We got ours from local merchant we using for the house build, they had to order it in special. Was £105+ vat but its not far off double the size. the standard hockey stick (i put them in the cavity and lintel out underground as we have a plinth and they look rubbish on the outside) fits. 

I spray the whole thing to match the guttering colour before fitting then cover it masking tape to protect it from the brickies.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Conor said:

Yeah. 600x900 flag. Mine is 900mm wide and 600mm deep, you can get away with a 600x600x slab but doesn't leave much room inside for your 110v transformers etc. Brickwork slightly short of this. Other DNOs may vary.

Perfect 

Thank you Conor 

Screenshot_20230831_065820_Drive.thumb.jpg.73e3706b9165f80cf63f4c714b1c6015.jpg

1 hour ago, Dave Jones said:

We got ours from local merchant we using for the house build, they had to order it in special. Was £105+ vat but its not far off double the size. the standard hockey stick (i put them in the cavity and lintel out underground as we have a plinth and they look rubbish on the outside) fits. 

I spray the whole thing to match the guttering colour before fitting then cover it masking tape to protect it from the brickies.

Got ours direct from WPD [now NG] - Sprayed Grey to match the garage door before fitting 

• Thanks 1

Here's mine, made out of spare bits mostly.  The structure is only temporary because NIE only allow permanent meters in permali boxes on the house wall.  NIE also prohibit metal meter boxes for temporary supplies, they must be brick.  

If I was in GB I would have bought a metal meter cabinet off the shelf and kept it as a permanent supply.  This tmeporary box is right next to where the EV chargers will be installed so routing to the house and back out is infuriating.

NIE insist a 3-phase temporary supply requires a bigger enclosure (even though they split off a single phase for the temp supply) hence the two slabs on the top with some silicone sealant between them.    Its painted with bitumen paint to give it some extra waterproofing.

The big problem I had was getting an earth rod in the ground.  I built the box on top of the rock of gibralter and had to get a digger in to dig a hole near to he cabinet to sink a rod.  If I were doing this again I would get the earth rod in before installing the cabinet.

footing.jpg

closed-2.jpg

open.jpg

Edited by Mr Blobby
  • Like 1