Radiators, Stelrad or cheapies?

HughF

We've decided to press ahead with the installation of a new CH system and UVC, slightly ahead of schedule, but it needs to be done. I've completed the rad sizing and now need to decide on whether to go for Stelrad, or whether to go for cheapies from Screwfix/Toolstation/Other...

Perhaps @Nickfromwales could chime in with his valued experience here?

We need a few 900h type 22 (which seem hard to find, victorian plumbing seem to have stock), and the rest are all standard 600h type 22. 

4 hours ago, HughF said:

We've decided to press ahead with the installation of a new CH system and UVC, slightly ahead of schedule, but it needs to be done. I've completed the rad sizing and now need to decide on whether to go for Stelrad, or whether to go for cheapies from Screwfix/Toolstation/Other...

Perhaps @Nickfromwales could chime in with his valued experience here?

We need a few 900h type 22 (which seem hard to find, victorian plumbing seem to have stock), and the rest are all standard 600h type 22. 

Stelrad are (were) good when I was installing gas CH, but lately I bought a Kudos rad ( B&Q / Screwfix ) for my sons room and they are much improved. The number 1 thing to NOT do ( or to allow to happen ) is to put the rad down and scratch the paint on the underside. I always put these down onto folded dustsheets and cardboard to make sure the paint stayed intact. The cause of rads rusting out from the bottom up is them being set down onto floors, without protection.

Next place to look is around the disposable blank blank plugs which are there for spray painting, as some will leave bright steel exposed as the paint process was shart. If you see bright steel, expect rust to soon follow. Touch up with white Hammerite (smooth) paint and you'll be right ;) 

It looks like there are some good prices to be had from Stelrad direct, so I think I’ll go with them. Apparently they can be mounted with the packaging still on, and they have a 2 coat paint finish.

Just over £1k for a whole house full or new rads, including 3x 900h ones and a k3 for one hard to heat room. I think that’s fair. Will confirm tomorrow with my spreadsheet then pull the trigger on them all.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Set them down on cardboard / folded dust-sheets, or it'll be a zero coat finish ;). You'll need to unpackage to inspect for damage BEFORE installing or you can't return them. 

Apparently you can mount them without removing them from the packaging? Latest blurb on the stelrad website

5 hours ago, HughF said:

Apparently you can mount them without removing them from the packaging? Latest blurb on the stelrad website

Ask them about damage returns policy. Never heard of such nonsense before tbh. 
We always unwrapped them, inspected and installed them, and then put the wrappers back on and duct taped them on for decorators / 2nd fix 3rd parties to not mess them up. 
I used to show them in and fitted to the clients for a handover, and then they owned them. No comebacks when someone else did the damage and the fingers deciding who to point at ;)  

• Like 1