Slates / Tiles Resting on Facia Board - LABC diagram does not make sense

Beagle2

Hello,

I'm doing a small barn conversion and am working on the eaves detail.

This blog post from LABC appears good, but when studied the diagram makes no sense (to me :)).

Tilt fillet or proprietary eaves ventilator? | LABC

The LABC blog states "The tiles shouldn’t be just rested on the fascia board as that is not what it is for, it’s bad practice, and makes replacement fascia work harder."

However the diagram shows exactly this, all be it resting on a ventilator strip (secured to the fascia). 

All the examples I can see online (Tyvek technical manual, NHBC 7.2.19 etc) show the first course resting on the fascia.

If a slate can't rest on the fascia then what is done? add a lower batten a few mm above the fascia?

LABC are not responding and looks like someone else has asked this in the comments

Thanks

Eaves.png

The only way to ensure that water does not collect in the sag of the membrane and runs into the gutter is to support it with a rigid timber or plywood board between the top of the fascia board and the first tile batten for the full length of the fascia board.

In other words they expect the "tilting fillet" to be a board (or tapered board) not lots of individual wedges. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Temp said:

In other words they expect the "tilting fillet" to be a board (or tapered board) not lots of individual wedges. 

but how does that work in the diagram, a continuous ‘tilting fillet’ would block the over fascia vent?

I assumed with an over fascia vent you’d use individual wedges at each rafter and a felt support tray. 

(that’s what I was planning to do :)) 

Thanks everyone for the input 

3 hours ago, Beagle2 said:

but how does that work in the diagram, a continuous ‘tilting fillet’ would block the over fascia vent?

I assumed with an over fascia vent you’d use individual wedges at each rafter and a felt support tray. 

Humm yes I'm wrong. 

Must just be testing on the plastic support trays but these aren't very strong.

I used a vapour permeable membrane and insulation between rafters so didn't need vents.

Edited by Temp

4 hours ago, Beagle2 said:

Tilting fillets are not continous, but a wedge cut and nailed to each rafter