Fitting RSJ - need new supporting pier to be built - questioning SE advice.

tf81

Hi all, new to the site. We are removing a wall between our kitchen and dining room. We've had a SE come out and carry out his survey and provide us with steel calculations and padstones etc. He has also stated that we will need to have a new brick pier (225 x 225) built for the padstone that is depicted by a B in a circle on the attached photo that should be tied into the surrounding masonry. On the photo the red A is a stud wall that has a doorway which we are infilling with further stud. The red B is a door way that is remaining that has masonry above it.

I'm under the impression that the SE assumed that wall A (stud wall) was actually a masonry wall. I've spoken to him again since he sent his plans through to confirm that wall A is in fact all stud. SE came back with 'Doorway to be infilled with stud to match. New pier is to be tied back to stud wall with s/s ties at 225c/c screwed into doubled up end stud. Pier to be strapped to floor joists with 30x5x1000mm long restraint strap'.

I'm aware the SE is well qualified but my questions are 1) Is this a normal practice, 2) Will this provide enough support for the new pier?

Any advice would be appreciated

Screenshot_20230822_204331_Gallery (1).jpg

The pier will need to be built up from a foundation.

If I were the SE I'd check that the pier is sufficient alone without any lateral restraint (without knowing the loads and geometry no way I can know but it could be feasible). The studwall is tied in for robustness of both the wall and the pier.

If I were relying on the studwall for restraint then I'd be insisting it is tied down to a foundation as well. Most likely I'd just make the pier bigger.

So I suspect your SE is happy the pier doesn't need restraint.

Just ask - I don't mind answering a few straightforward questions ( although having to explain every aspect of a design does become a time sink and often the answer is 'yes this is materially overdesigned but a few extra blocks is cheaper than a defective structure....it works and builders don't mess it up'!)

• Like 1

@George thanks for the reply. Yes already discussed with the builder the need for foundations for the pier. I suppose my main concern was the thought of tieing the brickwork of the pier to a stud wall for robustness. But from your response it's a common practice and I'm probably having a 'flap' about nothing.