Double height void/ room thoughts

On 22/08/2023 at 13:23, Stonehouse said:

Your experience and thoughts of having a double height area/ room. 

We had three areas with vaulted ceilings. On the ground floor we had a sitting room with a split level ceiling half of which was vaulted.

DSC_7569.thumb.jpg.840efdc99a2a119979546143035a7a1c.jpg

DSC_7565.thumb.jpg.77777937598c1171f706ab2b2d9d424e.jpg

We also vaulted ceilings on the landing and in the main bedroom.

DSC_7606.thumb.jpg.6619e30417ba78e34c5f4678687b93df.jpg

DSC_7585.thumb.jpg.8c17fd0ca064792f652d07be29f3a8b2.jpg

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Gone West said:

DSC_7585.thumb.jpg.8c17fd0ca064792f652d07be29f3a8b2.jpg

What is in the cupboard beside the bed? Is it service duct or some such? We have vaulted everything, all of upstairs and 50% of downstairs not sure how it will turn out as not boarded yet but I am not allowed any cupboards in strange places, other than in the plant room / utility, so I have either built them behind built in wardrobes / storage - so I can remove the back panel to get at things, or under removable sills.

7 hours ago, MikeSharp01 said:

What is in the cupboard beside the bed?

It's under the eaves storage above the single storey utility and wet rooms. It's not very high but Wendy arranged it with stacked Really Useful storage boxes and kept a lot of stuff in there. The only other storage area was above the two smaller bedrooms accessed from the landing.

On 23/08/2023 at 11:38, Mr Blobby said:

We are building a void in our kitchen.  Totally bonkers of course but adds some drama to an otehrwise boring space.  Some would say its a waste of space that could have been an ensuite or something, but our dining table will sit in the void and we will be spending far more time at the dining table than in an en-suite bathroom.  Its only 2m wide so not massive.

The top of our void will have a vaulted ceiling with a velux in the roof to bring in some light and to give stack ventilation if the kitchen overheats.  So some practicality too.

I think building regs require that a void in the kitchen must be seperated by glass from the first floor.  Its a fire regs thing that the kitchen is isolated I think.  Ours will have a full height fixed glass pane where the void meets the first floor landing.  So smells upstairs won't be an issue for us.

Sounds great would love to see plans/ pictures

On 23/08/2023 at 20:33, Adsibob said:

I don’t understand this. Why can’t you operate the Veluxes remotely? Aren’t they Velux Integra?

No, they aren't Velux Integra. Hence why we can't open them remotely. 

The blinds are internal, so that's why they only mitigate some of the solar gain.

• 1 month later...
On 23/08/2023 at 22:02, MikeSharp01 said:

we have a void above the kitchen, all of which will be lined with fireline - separating it from the bedroom

Hi please comment/feedback on my floor plans. Really keen to gey opinion from those who have had similar experiences with regard to design.

On 24/08/2023 at 00:24, Mr Blobby said:

meant of course that kitchen void can't be open to rest of house, we use a glass partition, other barriers are available

Hi please comment/feedback on my floor plans. Really keen to get opinion from those who have had similar experiences with regard to design.