Building control - velux window, hight from floor

WillAE

2 hours ago, Blooda said:

@WillAE    

Don't suppose you have fire rated doors  on the landing / hallway to creating a "protected Stairway" ?   Thus eliminating the need for escape windows. 

I have fire rated doors into the bedroom itself, but the stairway is open so I guess that doesn't help?

23 minutes ago, Big Jimbo said:

If you use a restrictor on an opening window, when you are doing part O regs only the portion of window that opens with the restrictor in place can be used in you ventilation strategy. 

What’s more important - not falling out of a window or getting enough fresh air?

49 minutes ago, ETC said:

What’s more important - not falling out of a window or getting enough fresh air?

You would have to ask the people writing the Building Regs. Passing part O is a total pain. Using restrictors will usually mean you will fail the ventilation bit of part O. I will be having windows upstairs that will be less than 1100mm from the floor, so they will need guarding. None of my first floor windows will have restrictors fitted. 

My guarding will be a piece of MDF sat on the window cill and extended to wider than the window reveals. Once passed. MDF will be removed, and restrictors will be fitted. Reminds me of back in the day, cutting the chains on door closers to stop them banging.

15 hours ago, Big Jimbo said:

You would have to ask the people writing the Building Regs. Passing part O is a total pain. Using restrictors will usually mean you will fail the ventilation bit of part O. I will be having windows upstairs that will be less than 1100mm from the floor, so they will need guarding. None of my first floor windows will have restrictors fitted. 

My guarding will be a piece of MDF sat on the window cill and extended to wider than the window reveals. Once passed. MDF will be removed, and restrictors will be fitted. Reminds me of back in the day, cutting the chains on door closers to stop them banging.

not necessarily, NHBC allow a +/- 100mm tolerance for guarding. They have a bulletin for it 

https://www.nhbc.co.uk/binaries/content/assets/nhbc/tech-zone/nhbc-standards/tech-guidance/6.7/tg-6.7-20-guardingconsiderations.pdf