Hi Everyone

germanrob

My plan is to move to Scotland and to put a log cabin on some land to  create a small holding (with some sheep , chickens and polytunnel), with 2 camping pods as an additional income and an agricultural building. I have found some land  which has had previous planning permission for a four bedroom house. Just trying to find my way through the planning application and building control minefield. I would be grateful for any advice or experiences from anyone who has done this .

That’s definitely moving to Scotland. 😂 

When you say you’ve found some land do you mean you’ve bought it (I assume not) or just that, you’ve found some land? Has the previous planning application lapsed? Just because it had planning approval before doesn’t necessarily mean it will get it again of course. What are the services like? What’s the ground like? Were there any specific conditions attached to the previous approval? Was the previous approval planning in principle or full approval? 

The pod holiday home thing needs careful thinking about. Some areas have too many of them and I’ve heard stories of a bit of over saturation in the pod market. Like everything else those that match the market for the area they are in or offer a different experience do well. 

Can’t help with the sheep but we have 12 chickens. Lovely things they are. 

The  planning in principle lapsed in 2018.  The services are on the edge of the land and the ground is relatively flat (for the area )

The biggest conditions were the entrance to the land and those  are specified in the highways papers.

with regard to the pods my special selling point is  I'm a dog trainer so my idea was to offer training holidays for dogs and owners  .

I've had chickens and ducks in the past.

7 hours ago, germanrob said:

My plan is to move to Scotland and to put a log cabin on some land to  create a small holding (with some sheep , chickens and polytunnel), with 2 camping pods as an additional income and an agricultural building. I have found some land  which has had previous planning permission for a four bedroom house. Just trying to find my way through the planning application and building control minefield. I would be grateful for any advice or experiences from anyone who has done this .

HI, Check out some of my blogs #thewindyroost. your journey sounds uncannily similar to mine which we physically started 14 months ago.  although we only came from England to Caithness.  Stunning part of the world...

As @Kelvin says there are lots of cabins / pods /B&B's / campsites etc this is our first year, and its been relatively good so far, July, Aug, Sept are busy then it tapers off.  

Where in Caithness?

EDIT: Sheep - their sole purpose in life is to try to kill themselves - there is no way I'm having sheep on my land... 

We have 20 Muscovy ducks - started with 6, 8 months ago, and 5 call ducks, 4 chickens

Edited by Jenki
more info

I

1 hour ago, Jilly said:

Dog training with other people’s not-so-well-trained-dogs on your land, plus sheep might be tricky… 

im only want  a few sheep to train my dog for herding and for desensitising other dogs at a distance .

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jenki said:

HI, Check out some of my blogs #thewindyroost. your journey sounds uncannily similar to mine which we physically started 14 months ago.  although we only came from England to Caithness.  Stunning part of the world...

As @Kelvin says there are lots of cabins / pods /B&B's / campsites etc this is our first year, and its been relatively good so far, July, Aug, Sept are busy then it tapers off.  

Where in Caithness?

EDIT: Sheep - their sole purpose in life is to try to kill themselves - there is no way I'm having sheep on my land... 

We have 20 Muscovy ducks - started with 6, 8 months ago, and 5 call ducks, 4 chickens

Hi, I'm just going through your blogs,  the land is at Occumster . The similarity increases 

I looked at every plot of land on the East coast in Caithness, so will probably have seen it, Occumster is small.....

biggest issue with all the plots we saw were lack of nearby power, thus restrictive grid connection options.  lots of cables, but several plots we were quoted circa 30K for connections

Edited by Jenki

15 minutes ago, germanrob said:

, have you had any problems with the crofting commision ? 

No, we've had a grant to improve fencing, but be aware, there is a lot of croft land for sale, that is still controlled by the commission, so you need to 'work' the land. But they are not a full crofts, and thus grants are not available. A full croft needs to be 4.5 ha around 12acres. Anything less it's not classed as a full croft.

• Like 1