Planning permission passed, next steps?

Amateur bob

Good afternoon everyone i am in central scotland and have had planning passed on a 2 storey 4 bedroom house, im just trying to decide on the next steps? the plot is on own land so no mortgage was needed on the plot

i will need to get building warrant before i do anything? 

then apply for a mortgage from a lender? or should i speak to builders first and get some quotes before going to a lender?

Basically you can't do anything before the warrant comes through (well you can, but not much). You need warrant drawings done by your architect and structural engineer. Once they are done you need the SAP report doing, structural design certificate, then you go through the 6 to 12 weeks going through the warrant process with the council.

Once you have your structural and architectural drawings you can go for meaningful quotes and mortgage stuff.

15 hours ago, JohnMo said:

Basically you can't do anything before the warrant comes through (well you can, but not much). You need warrant drawings done by your architect and structural engineer. Once they are done you need the SAP report doing, structural design certificate, then you go through the 6 to 12 weeks going through the warrant process with the council.

Once you have your structural and architectural drawings you can go for meaningful quotes and mortgage stuff.

thanks for the feedback, whats a rough timescale between now and being in that position to get quotes/mortgage stuff? can i work away getting electricity and water pipes laid and to the site in the meantime?

Don’t underestimate how long some of this will take. It took us 11 weeks to get the SE drawing pack for example. We got the basic information needed to apply for the warrant and we got the warrant before we got the full SE pack. I couldn’t get any groundswork quotes until I had the foundation design from the SE. In the end it only caused us a 3 week delay because I took a chance and did a lot of things in parallel. There’s nothing stopping you doing the basics for services and forming access etc. 

If you’ve not lined up any of the professionals you’ll need I’d get onto that now. The building World is replete with architects it seems but there’s a lack of everyone else. 

Just now, ToughButterCup said:

Get a plan. A really detailed plan. 

Then prepare yourself for your really detailed plan to fall apart at first contact and you start making everything up as you go along. 🙄

• Haha 2

On 12/08/2023 at 12:11, Kelvin said:

Don’t underestimate how long some of this will take. It took us 11 weeks to get the SE drawing pack for example. We got the basic information needed to apply for the warrant and we got the warrant before we got the full SE pack. I couldn’t get any groundswork quotes until I had the foundation design from the SE. In the end it only caused us a 3 week delay because I took a chance and did a lot of things in parallel. There’s nothing stopping you doing the basics for services and forming access etc. 

If you’ve not lined up any of the professionals you’ll need I’d get onto that now. The building World is replete with architects it seems but there’s a lack of everyone else. 

thanks for the feedback, i prob wouldnt aim to start building until next spring/summer as the winters are cold and wet here would that be an achievable timescale? i thought in the meantime i could dig out the topsoil and build back up with stone which we have plenty of being on a farm, this will be a cleaner site to work on and dig founds into when i have all the paperwork?

is it possible to get elec and water companies to run cables/pipes to just outside the plot so that i can join on and continue into the plot at a later date when i know which part of the house theyll be coming in from?