Leaky “new” roof might be the last straw

Adsibob

Another thing to bear in mind in building is that there are several ways round problems, which need you to think creatively. The more positive and relaxed you are, the more the options present themselves. Ie when we feel negative we can’t see possibilities. It’s quite a good metaphor for life. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, dpmiller said:

so who measured/ supplied/ installed the glass?

The architect measured and did a drawing. The glazing company attended to check his drawing. Then they proposed some minor amendments to the design, which I and the architect accepted. It appears that one of their amendments was to include a flashing over the 1m length of exposed edge of the glass, bridging over the silicone joint between the upstand and the glass. That was not done.

The roofing guy’s advice now, suggests that this flashing would not properly adhere to self cleaning  glass, but it seems the glazing company disagree. I guess it’s their glass, so I should ask them.

So I guess it’s an omission by my main contractor and architect who was meant to be project managing this aspect of the build for me.

Rotten luck really, as my snagging was done in May and I made the final payment at the beginning of July. This issue surfaced right at the end of July. The contractor probably would have rectified this if he had known.

1 hour ago, Adsibob said:

Rotten luck really, as my snagging was done in May and I made the final payment at the beginning of July. This issue surfaced right at the end of July. The contractor probably would have rectified this if he had known.

Is it not worth asking his opinion/advice/appealing to his better nature, then? 😊

20 hours ago, Big Jimbo said:

I fitted a bloody expensive aluminium roof lantern. Asked the supplier what size externally the hole needed to be. When the blinking thing arrived it was exactly the size of the hole that i had built. No blinking overhang.

@Pocster knows all about this, ask him about his walk on glazing (if you dare). I would always wait till the item arrived before cutting anything. (Due to cock ups in the past).

• Thanks 1