Bifold cabinet doors

Dee

16 minutes ago, Dee said:

One bifold door will be 300mm wide by 1200mm high x 2 and in a V arrangement,  therefore creating a W but split in the middle. one V left, one V right

Ah yes, so folding, not bifold .. bifold has 3 leaves and 3 hinge points because the first hinge point isn’t counted as it’s just a door.

so folding doors, no track needed, just need the catch/es where the V closes not at the meeting point of the two doors.

Thanks. I dont think ive described my project very well so I've put an image of what I'm making, as an attachment..

Without a top track will side hinges be strong enough to support the weight? Wont the doors dtop over time? Piano hinges better than butt?

FurnFold-main-pic.jpg

Russel, yes, shaker style. I'll make them from MDF with strip wood for the trim. Won't the doors drop overtime without a track? Did you use a top track? I've bought one but can return it.

Anymore advice gratefully received. 

Thanks so much.

If you are confident in making your own doors then you can work this out, you have a track, get it fitted get the doors hung and on to the next job. 

Over thinking has probably cost me months on this house. 

If you bought the track you must have thought it necessary, get it in and sleep soundly. 

• Haha 1

As long as the hinges are rated fir the weight and the doors built well then no problem with sagging, it does not sound like you combined doors are bigger/heavier than a normal house door! (I did similar in a previous house, no track and it worked very well). 

• Thanks 1

Hi Russell.....I'm nothing more than a competentish DIYer and not the least confident! but I'm having a crack at it....using rudimentary knowledge, skills and tools.

just tapping into the wealth of experience on this site. I do overthink as I want to do jobs as right and I can't afford for them to fail 🥲

Thanks for your input, much appreciated. 

Another question if anyone is free....I'm making the doors and frame to o fit into an existing apperture. The walls read square according to my level....so, do I make the frame and then fit it into the aperture or make the frame insitu and hope my level and fitting is accurate enough that it is square?

Thanks!

Difficult but if it were me I would make the doors and frame as a unit, slightly oversized, then you can plane the frame down where necessary to fit snug in the opening and not worry about the doors fitting the frame after fitting.

• Thanks 1