I want an old XJS

7 hours ago, ProDave said:

What strikes me given the growth in electricity demand and the growth in renewable generation, which we know to be rather dependant on the weather hence unreliable, is just how little energy storage there is in that mixture.

Energy storage is never going to make a contribution.  Well not transmission network attached storage anyway.  Current technologies like batteries do frequency regulation and pumped storage is there for short-term reserve.

There will remain the need for conventional generation plant, which will almost certainly be gas turbines, into the renewables age for the days the wind doesn't blow.  That gas plant will just run less often.  Which is good. Alongside the gas units will be more demand side management, as there already is for industrial users who have contracts to stop factories etc at short notice.  And more smart meters and flexible tariffs.

Electricity demand has actually fallen for much of the last 15 years, mainly due to better regulation of things like LED bulbs and inefficient vacuum cleaners, much of which has been driven by EU regulation.  The increase in demand going forward is likely from things like EVs (and domestic batterries) that are charged over night when wind is curtailed hence the forecast increase in wind penetration.

And CCS is about as real and viable as the tooth fairy.

Edited by Mr Blobby

14 minutes ago, MikeSharp01 said:

An old XJS in the garage might be a good idea if the headline in the Telegraph today is anything to go by: "Warning that Chinese electric car ‘invasion’ could paralyse Britain" in short if they don't like us, whenever, they just turn the cars off! Lots of opportunities to cut demand in an instant!

Ditto anywhere there's a potential back door on Chinese equipment, be it infrastructure, emergency service gear or home electronics,  routers etc. I firmly believe the flood of cheap plug in gadgets wouldn't stand an over voltage. Once they control (or hack) our utilities it all goes up (or down :) )at once.

40 minutes ago, MikeSharp01 said:

"Warning that Chinese electric car ‘invasion’ could paralyse Britain" in short if they don't like us, whenever, they just turn the cars off!

Won't we do the same to them.

The British built the Hong Kong power system after all.

The Americans have STUXNET and seem to know how to get it onto networks.

Nothing really that complex with carbon capture. Most is based on flue gas capture from power generation. As @joe90 says countries have been doing it decades.

Basics are a spent oil/ gas well, pipeline, gas compression train and some membrane sepereration, and possibly a booster compressor upstream of process plant and downstream of source. The projects I have seen in the UK, add on many bells and whistles like hydrogen generation which make it complex and super expensive. 

1 minute ago, JohnMo said:

Nothing really that complex with carbon capture. Most is based on flue gas capture from power generation

Isn't that the least efficient though, usually only capturing around half of the CO2.

There is an energy cost to doing it as well.

And globally there is only 0.1% captured. That is lost in generation variation. 

I can save a thousands of my energy usage (about 3 kWh) by using my oven for 3 days less a year.

CCS has been talked about for decades, all are still just trial sites.

Cheaper to build a solar farm.

11 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Cheaper to build a solar farm.

Cheaper and way quicker. Make all farm land have vertical PV panels spaced to suit the tractor and it's equipment, so no land use is lost. Just like they have started doing in Japan. It could just be at he perimeter of a field.

https://www.pv-magazine.com/2022/04/26/japans-first-vertical-agrivoltaic-project/

But all the NIMBYs in the UK would have field day.

3 minutes ago, JohnMo said:

Make all farm land have vertical PV panels spaced to suit the tractor and it's equipment, so no land use is lost. Just like they have started doing in Japan. It could just be at he perimeter of a field.

Trouble is in the UK, the politicians and general public's understanding of science is so poor, they could not get a project like this off the ground.

Just today, on PM, there was a bloke who sells ASHP telling Evan Davis that they don't work in Scotland, use more electricity and cost more to run.

I don't think Evan Davis believed him.

2 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Trouble is in the UK, the politicians and general public's understanding of science is so poor, they could not get a project like this off the ground.

True. They have been doing very expensive studies for the last decade, drawing up the engineering schemes. Park it and do it again.

8 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

bloke who sells ASHP telling Evan Davis that they don't work in Scotland

Good job I didn't believe him also. I would have wasted £2k otherwise installing one. Just says don't go to than man for an ASHP, as he has no idea.