Advice please: solar diverter install

crispy_wafer

Hi,

Had 3.6kW solar installed when the roof went onto the build about 2 years ago, solar has been inactive since as no electrics in the property to connect to.  Original plan was to have an EDDI or similar...  Recent contact with the company who installed the panels and will complete the install have suggested that since the original contract prices have increased and they want some more money.   No problem, that's fair I suppose. 

It's going to be a little while before HW cylinder is in place, and I'm thinking that once first fix electrics are in, get them in, the can connect up the solar and it can start exporting as it will have no load on it for a little while, and I can forget the Eddi for now.

This helps with my short term cashflow and it brings my contract price down and gets them in/out and that's the end of my contract with them.  *extra bonus*

Is an EDDI(or similar, please advise) installation a task a qualified electrician can undertake?  I'd hazard a guess, me buying the device and him installing at a later date is going to be cheaper than this company.

12 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Any competent electrician can fit a diverter so just get that done when the tank is installed.

11 minutes ago, Conor said:

It's easy, not much more challenging than wiring a plug. I did my own.

your replies are very much appreciated, thankyou.

I take there is no gas installed? If so and you can get on something like the Octopus Flux tariff then it's cheaper to use gas for water than to reduce the export.

Fwiw I had a water diverter installed way after the main installation (they just ran out of time on the day) and it was maybe 90 mins or so to install if not less when they finally came back. It looked simple for any electrician to be honest.

6 minutes ago, MrTWales said:

I take there is no gas installed?

Nope, electric only.  I'm with Octopus, so for now the plan will be for any generation will feed back until such time that I commission the MVHR, Poo tank and other always on kit.

I assume you/your installer have informed the local DNO and recieved confirmation back from them that they're OK with the grid connection?

Otherwise you won't be able to get an Export MPAN and send anything back to the grid.