Windows fitted correctly?

MatthewPike

Hi,

I'm about to replace the windows in the image with Aluminium and I'm not convinced they have been fitted correctly and tbh I'm not sure how to fit the new ones without them looking odd if I use a larger sill which is what I think is what is required.

Advise and ideas welcomed.

ATB Matthew.

IMG_6832.jpg

The sill is there to prevent repetitive drips onto the wall face, which might leave unsightly stains.  As there’s a stone sill below it, why do you need another one?  

Nb: The upvc sill has a little gap above it, which will allow an air path to the edge of the sealed double glazing units, keeping them at low humidity which ensures a long life.

• Like 1

Thank you for the explanations/technical details RobLe and image from DJ, makes sense I'm happy to press on with simple replacements.

The reason for the change Craig is the wife wants Anthracite but also I'm about to swap out the plastic conservatory in the images below for Oak with a tiled roof so now is the time to do the windows.

M. Pike Conservatory Existing.pdf

• Like 1

The only thing I can see that would be different if you re-bought upvc, is that the glazing clips now are internal.  The pic in the first post looks like it’s got external clips, which can be removed from the outside, so perhaps a weak spot for a burglar.  I suspect most burglars break in, rather than bringing tools to undo the window though.

A friend of mine painted his upvc, it looks surprisingly good.  He used special paint for the job (no idea what).

3 hours ago, craig said:

You could have the uPVC painted anthracite, cheaper and would look fine if done correctly.

Not recommending them, haven’t seen their work but an example https://upvcspraypainters.com/upvc-window-spray-painting/

I was thinking about it but the windows are a little old and I have access to trade Aluminium windows which we have used in the extension etc.

Edited by MatthewPike

Whatever you do, don’t go and do what 90% of window fitters do, and fit a standard sill on top of the stone sill. It looks shocking. And for some reason, I see it everywhere.

Order your windows without a sill at all, not required if you have stone sills. I wouldn’t even bother with a stub sill personally.

12 minutes ago, HughF said:

Whatever you do, don’t go and do what 90% of window fitters do, and fit a standard sill on top of the stone sill. It looks shocking. And for some reason, I see it everywhere.

Order your windows without a sill at all, not required if you have stone sills. I wouldn’t even bother with a stub sill personally.

careful doing this, you may not be waterproof without a stub cill with some windows as they contain the frame waterproofing detail.

37 minutes ago, Dave Jones said:

careful doing this, you may not be waterproof without a stub cill with some windows as they contain the frame waterproofing detail.

My current profile of choice is waterproof without, I assumed all were like this…

4 hours ago, HughF said:

Not technically correct, it depends on the drainage situation of the window being used.

9 hours ago, craig said:

Not technically correct, it depends on the drainage situation of the window being used.

Yup. Bottom or front ‘weeps’ decides this. Can usually be dictated at the point of ordering but not all can accommodate the option.