How level should a plastered wall be?

jayc89

We have a pretty wonky wall in what will become our utility. There's approx 15mm from the brick face to the existing door frame, so not much room to play with. I had it plastered last week, the guy used Hardwall as a backing, followed by multi-finish. I was away with work last week so only got to see it earlier this week...

Towards the bottom of the wall it's now bellied outwards by approx 15mm, 20mm at its worse, so it's going to make tiling, or fitting skirting to it a real PITA. I know the wall was wonky, and the plasterer said he wouldn't be able to get it spot on level, but I was expecting better than that.

Was I wrong to?

IMG_6689.jpg

IMG_6686.jpg

IMG_6685.jpg

IMG_6682.jpg

5 minutes ago, crispy_wafer said:

I don't know to be honest, if it was pretty rough to start with, could more have been done do you think or not?  Will that bit of wall be concealed away behind cupboard / wash machine

for new stuff, although 3mm still 

9.1.3 Internal walls and ceilings - NHBC Standards 2023 NHBC Standards 2023 (nhbc-standards.co.uk)

The crunch point was at the other end of the wall, where the distance between the brick and door frame was only 15mm, however the problem is the other end of the wall, near the corner which will be hidden by units, so perhaps not a massive issue, I'd expect a decent plasterer to get a reasonable level to it as there's no limiting factors (and is exactly why I didn't attempt it myself :) )

SWMBO mentioned he was using a small piece of timber to level off so perhaps that was part of the issue, if he'd used something nearer to the full length of the room he'd be able to get something nearer to level. Says the arm-chair plasterer. 

39 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

Pretty crap plastering.  He shoudl have chucked on a few more bags of hardwall and ruled it off with a long straightedge or speedskim.  It looks like he has just skimmed it.

There's certainly hardwall under there, about 25mm in places, which is what I thought would be used to get the wall level prior to skimming. 

Definitely looks a bit off, nothing some extra tile adhesive won’t cure if it’s all being tiled. Also probably best not to check how straight the wall is with a piece of roofing latt! Get a spirit level on it, something which is designed straight