Imprinted Concrete

canalsiderenovation

On 01/08/2023 at 22:56, Big Jimbo said:

Blinking heck. I'm dizzy now after trying to watch that. Don't think you are going to become a film maker anytime soon. Were you being chased by One of the chickens. Why not do either an area of slabbing, or block paving near the house, and gravel the rest. That is going to cost you a fortune.

Yep chickens chasing me they thought I had food! Sorry filming not my strong point, won't give up the day job yet!

It's going to cost a fortune - tarmac, drains and edging coming in at just over £20k. We are exploring some kind of paving/porcelain near the house combined with some softer landscaping like gravel and then block paving closer to the gate where the existing stuff is but a bit bigger area. It's the weeding with gravel so we need to limit it (we have gravel in some areas with membrane and we still get oak and sycamores sprouting because the damn squirrels keep burying the acorns)!

Edited by canalsiderenovation

Parents laid a printed concrete driveway in the early 90's so it approx 30 years old. It in amongst trees so there's a bit of roots close/underneath. It has lasted brilliantly, no cracks and still looks decent/good. They where debating in doing a imprinted concrete again or a reisin bound driveway on newbuild (approx 600m2 driveway and patio) but my sister is having a few major problems with the reisin bound so have decided on imprinted concrete. I am going on a two day training course in October to way up the possibility of DIY. Looking at a cobble effect for the driveway and a large tile effect for the patio * see picture below

Screenshot_20230806-185936_WhatsApp.jpg

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Alexphd1 said:

am going on a two day training course in October to way up the possibility of DIY.

They should be teaching mostly about concrete laying and crack control in general. The imprinting is important but not the biggest issue in the long term.

I've seen cobble effect so well done that it took a real effort to see it was concrete. Also some very bad, mostly with random cracking.

I'd have fibres in the mix. Let us know if that is standard please?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Alexphd1 said:

practical laying 30m2

Sounds good.

I am imagining a car park covered in 30m2 patches of variable quality paving.

6 x 5 isn't enough to need a contraction joint, but I seriously hope that one is included anyway. Its probably the trickiest thing.

Otherwise.....they're just selling stampers.