Filling 1-3cm gaps between ceiling and wall

Every house I've had including our selfbuild has suffered from a problem in this area. The plasterboarded ceiling shrinks and the plaster cracks where ceiling meets wall. Unfortunately the crack isn't always right at the junction. If it was it would be easy to fix. Instead its frequently a few inches down the wall in places and a strip of plaster comes away from the wall. 

For that reason I'm not going to suggest you fit tape over the gaps, or at least if you do I don't recommend lapping it down the wall. 

Any plasterers out there got a solution for this? 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Temp said:

Every house I've had including our selfbuild has suffered from a problem in this area. The plasterboarded ceiling shrinks and the plaster cracks where ceiling meets wall. Unfortunately the crack isn't always right at the junction. If it was it would be easy to fix. Instead its frequently a few inches down the wall in places and a strip of plaster comes away from the wall. 

For that reason I'm not going to suggest you fit tape over the gaps, or at least if you do I don't recommend lapping it down the wall. 

Any plasterers out there got a solution for this? 

Those are actually Fermacell boards rather than plasterboards. You can hit them with a hammer and won't do any damage, so the boards themselves are very tough.

The ceilings and walls won't be plastered.

Elsewhere I've been recommended expanding foam.

2 hours ago, vagrantly3893 said:

Why not use it on a ceiling?

It is expensive, heavy, difficult to cut, fix and finish and you don't get the benefits of impact resistance and pull-out strength where you would on a wall.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mr Punter said:

It is expensive, heavy, difficult to cut, fix and finish and you don't get the benefits of impact resistance and pull-out strength where you would on a wall.

All good reasons. My step father wanted to use it and considering I had no experienced I went with it. We used a board lift which helped, but positioning it accurately so there is a 5-7mm gap between boards for the filler was hard. It's also possible to glue the edges instead of using filler which would have been easier.

I also like that for a quality 2 finish (wallpaper), we only need to fill the gap between the boards. No taping and feathering with filler.

I think I'll try plasterboard for another room to compare the process.